Magic created from magic

"Can't believe Prongs is buying Sirius a kitten for Christmas."

"Shh.. Peter someone might hear you."  Remus warned Peter.

"Who would? we are sitting here alone." Peter grumbled.

It was true, they were sitting alone in the kitchen aside from a few house elves bustling here and there, but if there is something Remus has learned in his time at Hogwarts - it is that Hogwarts love to gossip. Not only students, the house elves, the ghosts Remus had even heard the Professors keep bets but Remus needs to see one to believe in it. And this gift was highly secretive. Sirius has told everyone who would lend their ears to listen - which included all three of them, his female friends (who are in no way actually his friends), Hagrid and Professor Mcgonnagall that he will buy a kitten for himself this new year. So, naturally Prongs decided to get him a kitten as Christmas present.

James is like this, if you mention you like something in front of him, well he will get you that. Earlier he used to think when you have plenty you are like this. But in case of James it was not only limited to things you can buy with money. He would go up and beyond to do the thing you ask him to do. Maybe that's why they tolerated his not so lovely traits.

"I might not admit this to those two, but I'm really excited about this prank ." Remus muttered excitedly.

"So am I." Peter added. His hands were smudged with the chocolates he had been eating.

Remus stood up from where they were sitting, "Let's go. Our work here is finished."

Peter hastily cleaned his hand and they both headed for the great hall. It was almost dinner time and start of their prank. Remus wasn't going to miss any of it.

They waited sitting in their usual spot on gryffindors table, students had finally started to filling in. Remus wondered where his idiot friends were? The task that they both had to do wasn't supposed to take this much time.

Mary MacDonald came near them, "Can I sit with you guys? Lily and Marlene are nowhere to be seen."

Remus selfishly wanted to say no but he nodded. It's not like his two friends were here, he wouldn't be able to enjoy this prank to full extent anyway.

Peter turned to Mary, "Funny you mentioned that. James and Sirius are also nowhere to be found."

"Interesting." Mary mumbled.

What was so interesting about it was lost to Remus but he nodded anyway. After a lot of waiting, during which Remus was as fidgety as James. He knew he looked suspicious but he couldn't help himself, the calm head he has to become to control the chaos of the other two was not needed.

Then Lily Evans of all people took a seat next to him, so that she could seat opposite to Mary. She looked aghast and when she didn't even ask for Remus before sitting down which meant something was wrong. He thought about asking but he let it go for few minutes. For few minutes all he wanted was to enjoy the prank with his friends which wasn't possible because two of them were missing.

Nearly everyone was now in great hall. This was the moment. At the last second when he was about to do the spell James arrived and took a seat opposite to him.

"You made it." Wormtail cried out.

"Ofcourse I had to." Then his eyes scanned the people sitting around him, he raised an eyebrow at the two witches seating beside and diagonal to him. He looked confused for a moment and leaned in, "Where is Sirius?"

"I don't know, couldn't find him. You have the map remember?" Remus replied lowering his voice at the mention of map.

James cursed, "If his doing something stupid again, I swear to god."

Remus was even more surprised when Lily answered, "He isn't. I uh stumbled on him, on my way back here."

Lily looked very pink in face and Remus really didn't want to know what horrors she witnessed. With Sirius Black you never know, he knew from experience.

"What do you mean again?" Peter asked.

James looked at the two girls who were in range evasdropping and mouthed 'later'.

In all this discussion Remus had forgotten about their prank. So when the suit of armours burst through the corridors singing Christmas carols he jumped as much as every other student. He barely had time to do the spell, but luckily James did the spell.

Snowflakes started falling. Suit of armours started singing and everyone who had consumed any amount of food also joined in. It was the funniest sight - Mcgonnagall was singing with a very angry expression, Dumbledore joined in but Remus wasn't sure if it was because of food or he just wanted to join in. On the Slytherin table students were trying their hardest not to sing but no one was able to.

At last Remus looked at his friends- Peter was doing a shitty job of hiding his smile, James was singing along although he hadn't touched his food. Beside him Lily was also smiling, he assumed she hadn't eaten anything and Mary was singing her head moving with the music.

"So this is why you warned us about food?" Lily asked him.

"No. You'll see." Remus said.

As the suit of armours stopped singing , the snowflakes stopped and everyone also stopped. It was all peaceful for a moment, the professors and students were coming to their senses and BAM.

All of their food turned into dessert items, all in red and green. Surprisingly, only few people complained about lack of other dishes as there were so many desserts to relish.

Mary whispered to them, "You all did this, everything by yourself?"

James grinned ear to ear, "Only if I could take credit for this amazing feat. Sadly I'm just an admirer like anyone."

"Everything is red and green, just like you. Maybe you're the inspiration behind this." Remus said to Lily locking eyes with James. Sometimes, it is hard not to tease him with how obvious that prat acts around.

Lily laughed, "I'm not that stupid, it's Christmas theme."

"It could be your theme." James said smirking.

"You are a giant toerag." Lily shook her head.

Remus could see a smile playing on her lips as if hiding an inside joke. It was so hard to keep up with them James and Lily, mostly they are arguing with each other, frequently she is mad at him, sometimes they behave civil to each other and a few times almost playful and friendly. It is enough to drive a person mad.

"Atleast you didn't yell it this time." James replied his face full of mirth.

"This is annoying, why aren't they fighting?" Mary asked to no one in particular.

Peter chuckled.

Remus looked around the happy faces around him which was making him feel warm from inside. It was like some kind of magic and he could sense others around him were experiencing it too. Magic created from magic, poetic isn't it?

But the spell broke as Mcgonnagall approached them and asked to come with her for a casual questioning. Spellbound or broken, as long as he was with his friends, they will keep creating these spells.