Inhale. Exhale. Repeat.

Marlene inhaled the smoke. The dying embers were the indication this is going to die out and she'll need another one. But was that wise? After all, she needs to be ready for tomorrow but how can someone be ready for something like this? No, they can't be.

A part of her was still in denial. Will, that part be satisfied after tomorrow? Or she would always live in this denial? She can't fathom that thought.

She crunched the letter in her hand and her pulse rose again and she forced herself to breathe. Inhale. Exhale. Repeat.

" Marls your brother Mark.. " Lily had taken a few seconds and without even realizing Marlene had held her breath, "Mark is dead. Killed by someone."

What?

Mark dead?

"Are you trying some kind of sick joke Lily? Are you? I don't like it any bit." Marlene knew this couldn't be true her brothers are invincible, especially Mark.

And then he had stepped forward, "It's true Marlene. Someone had heard it on wireless."

She couldn't breathe. She focused her mind on the absurdity of this whole thing. "Someone told you. How could you believe them?"

"Before waking you I checked on wireless in our loo. It's true."

Marlene felt her eyes burning. She looked at the ceiling to stop the tears that threatened to fall. "Maybe the wireless is wrong. Maybe you're lying. You're doing this to get back at me, don't you?"

Hurt flashed through James' eyes but Marlene didn't care one bit.

And then Lily tried to hug her speaking softly, "It's true Marls. I'm so sorry." Marlene couldn't bear it.

She looked at each of them James standing near one of the corners of bed, Lily sitting next to her silent tears flowing through her eyes. She looked at Sirius at last standing there looking at her, their eyes locked in a brief moment. Their serious expression meant only one thing. One thing that she didn't allow herself to believe.

"I... I have to go." And she started running towards the door. She saw Lily following after her and she requested, "Please don't Lily." Her voice broke but she didn't care. She has to get out of here.

She ran as fast as she could to her dorm. She passed the party in all but blur. She needed answers, she needed to know somewhere Mark was breathing and laughing at something ridiculous Michael had said. She needed him to be alive. He has to be.

All her hopes crashed when she reached her dorm. Her dad's fastest owl was waiting for her near the window.

She shakily opened the letter and felt her whole world crumble. She was glad that no one was in the dorm not that she would have cared at that moment.

Denial was addictive. Denial was a drug.

Marlene fumbled for another cigarette. Shakily lighting it up. She opened her eyes realizing she had squeezed them shut. She opened the letter and once again began to read -

Marlene,
I want you to know if you haven't already heard through the radio that Mark is no more. Can't explain the details now. One of your brothers will get you from Hogwarts tomorrow.
Dad.

She had so many questions. Why can't they floo her in today only? Why would anyone wish Mark dead? And lastly why him?

In the house of seven protective brothers only he was her best friend. She remembered sitting on swing set in her garden smoking like she is now. It had become a bit of a habit in fourth year. She had seen someone walking towards her. She could still recall the panic she had felt on realizing she had been caught and she couldn't hide it this time. She had held her breath and waited for reprimand to come but it never came. Mark simply on the swing next to her and asked one for him too. Had she been caught by Martin he would have chastised her; worse Michael would have involved Mum and Dad. But never Mark. Never.

She felt her throat constricting. She grabbed hold if railing as her shoulders start to shake, and she began to weep.

Her tears flowed and flowed and with horror she realized it had begun to form a puddle and soon she was drowning in it. She gasped for oxygen and tried to reach for something anything, but she only grabbed fistful of water and nothing else. Something was shaking her was that water current, but it felt like a hand -

"McKinnon! McKinnon!"

Her eyes fluttered open. She realized she had slept on the floor near the corridor to Owlery. Black's face loomed over her.

"McGonagall is looking for you. Your brother is here to take you. "

Suddenly it all came back to her. Mark is dead.

"Yeah alright."

For the first time in her life, she felt so small. She was walking in small steps.

He ushered her towards McGonagall's office. She spoke out in a creaky voice, "Are we not going to my dorm? I have to take few things."

"Mary and Lily had already packed your stuff and brought it to McGonagall's office." Black spoke in rushed sentences as if he didn't know how to speak with her now. Marlene didn't care.

In a small voice she said, "Okay." And started walking quickly. She wanted to outpace him and walk alone.

But he matched her pace, "Marlene I... I'm sorry."

She hated it. But she kept her mouth shut. Ignoring him was easy and She didn't have the energy to argue.

He continued, "I cannot tell you that I know what you are going through but if you need anything -

She cut him off, "I need you to leave." She nodded towards the door of McGonagall's office to indicate he had escorted her; his job is done.

Black didn't say anything, but he accompanied her to the Office anyway.

Inside she saw Mary, Lily and James. She ignored them all and went straight to her eldest brother Lance. He hugged her briefly.

"Mr. McKinnon, Miss McKinnon floo powder." She handed them a jar and they both grabbed fistful of it. "Also, my condolences to your family."

"Thank you, Professor." Lance replied. Marlene didn't think she could speak without breaking down. Seeing Lance here made everything so real.

"Also, Mr. McKinnon I have given special permission to Mr. Potter, Mr. Black, Miss Evans and Miss Macdonald to attend the funeral."

She wanted to protest. She didn't want any of her friends at the funeral. Specially Potter and Black. But she couldn't find her voice, so she merely stared at the table. Besides none of it mattered Mark was dead.

"Thank you, Professor, for everything." Lance said politely.

Without sparing anyone even single glance she said, "McKinnon House."