101.

01

“Liangshen, what’s wrong?” Chu Yi hurriedly stepped forward to support his younger brother and looked at the cellar entrance frowning. 

Liangshen gulped his saliva and pointed to the hole tremblingly: “There is someone inside….”

“Let’s step back first.” Jiang Tang pulled the children to the side near the cameraman and then lay on the ground looking into that only opening. Through the subtle sunlight, she saw two children squatting in the haystack, chowing down the apples in their hands in the darkness. 

Jiang Tang blinked hard and continued to look inside. The two children looked about three or four years old. She could not tell if it was a boy or girl. They only wore a pair of underpants, and their whole bodies were very dirty. Their wrists and feet were locked with a heavy chain, and a slight movement would make a clunking sound. After eating apples, the two children returned to the darkness again.

Jiang Tang slowly knelt on the ground, her lips trembling, and her pupils were full of dismay. It was a hot day in July, but she was bathed in a cold sweat. 

Soon, she stood up from the ground. First picked up Qian Qian, then pulled Xia Lou to come closer, and whispered to them: “You guys are not allowed to tell this matter to anyone.”

Her expression was too solemn, which scared those several children instantly. After seeing that they all nodded, Jiang Tang said again: “From now on, you all have to stay with the adults all the time, not allowed to leave for even half a step, understand?”

They nodded again.

“Let’s go, let’s go back first.”

For fear of being seen, Jiang Tang hurriedly took the children out of this troubled place. 

What happened today was too strange. Jiang Tang’s nerves were very tense. The friendly villagers here are now demons in human skin in her eyes, afraid that they will bite her in silence. 

As soon as they entered the house, Jiang Tang locked the door and rushed to the cameraman, stretched out her hand: “Let me use your phone for a minute.”

After witnessing the whole thing, the cameraman did not say anything. He quickly took out his phone and handed it to her. Luckily, the signal in this village is not very bad. Although it can’t use the Internet, it received enough reception to make a call. Jiang Tang first called the police. Zhaoxi village is under the jurisdiction of C City. C City police who received the call said they would send police officers from the town to Zhaoxi village right away. The fastest to arrive would be around the afternoon. 

After reporting to the police, Jiang Tang called Lin Suizhou.

Her hand was holding the phone, shaking in a cold sweat, and her heart was beating uncomfortably. Even her lips became bloodless, extremely pale. The waiting time was short, but she felt as if forever, listening to the repeating connecting beeping sound, Jiang Tang pulled down her hair in irritation, and finally, the phone was connected.

“Lin Suizhou.”

The cameraman nearby looked at her in surprise when he heard the name of the person she called. 

Jiang Tang’s low voice was shaken and full of fear, even though she did not notice it. She said: “We… There’s something wrong with the village we’re in. I suspect …I suspect that they are involved in human trafficking. Can you come here right now with your people and the police? The more people, the better.”

She closed her eyes and secretly thought to herself—if she is lucky enough, the police sent by the C City will take those two children away. They will be able to leave without incident, but if she is unlucky, those policemen collude with the villagers; at least she has Lin Suizhou as her backup.