"That's what I'm talkin' about, man." Rhys said as he patted Danny's back a few times. A grin spread across Rhys' face as he realized that he had broken through to him. All he needed was a person to talk to without bias. Rhys was more than happy to be that person for him.

Meanwhile, Nyx was sitting in her room silently. She was sitting on her bed with her legs criss-crossed, having a staring contest with her hands in her lap. Nyx had never really gotten much time to process all that had happened to her. From the man slaughter she had committed when she discovered her ability, to waking up naked next to Nate's best friend. If she was being honest, this felt a lot like how she felt in her school. She was feeling overwhelmed and yet...empty. She felt as though she was being underestimated and demonized by her own friends. Nyx had hardly gotten the opportunity to see what she could do since the arena of the compound. Then, what happened between her and Nate...sure, what Nate said was out of line, but Nyx still felt guilty for hitting him. Now she had probably ruined it between them for good.

Nyx jumped slightly when she heard a gentle knock on her door. "Come in." She said quietly without lifting her head. The door creaked open and Nate entered the room. Nyx looked at him for a moment before she looked back down at her hands.

"Can we talk?" He spoke quietly, he sounded vulnerable. Nyx wordlessly nodded and Nate walked over to her bed and sat down next to her. "I'm sorry...for what I said. I was angry and I let it get the best of me." Nate said with a tired slouch in his shoulders. "It was... presumptuous of me to think that way. I'm really sorry. You had every right to slap me." Nate sounded truly remorseful, Nyx sighed. She knew that he was going through his own things right now.

"Nate, I'm not mad at you, at least not anymore." Nyx said as she gave him a weak smile. Nate took a deep breath, she knew what that meant, he was about to say something she didn't want to hear.

"I think...we should take some time, and let ourselves recover a little bit." Nate said as he looked at his interlocked fingers so he wouldn't have to see the pain in Nyx's eyes.

"What do you mean?" Nyx sounded slightly afraid.

"Well, you found out about my feelings for you from an angry outburst from Rhys, right? An outburst that happened...right after you slept with Danny..." Nate cleared his throat. "I think that you and I were kind of...forced into this. So I think that we need to take things slow and sort out what's going on in our heads, before we jump into anything. Sounds good?" Nate finished as he looked at her from the corner of his eye. To her...no, it didn't sound good. She was hurt, broken, and sad. She felt like her world was crashing down, like Nate had changed his mind about her after what happened.

"Maybe you're right." Nyx said quietly, part of her admired that Nate wanted to be so mature about this. However the inescapable thought in her mind was that his feelings just changed...and it was her fault.

"Thanks, Nyx. Don't worry, I still care about you." Nate stood up and planted a gentle kiss on her head before he left the room again. When he shut the door, Nyx was left in her own mind. Even though they were never truly together, it felt like he had just broken up with her. She wanted to give him time, knew that he needed time, but that didn't make it any less painful.

It started feeling like her chest was tight, and her blood started to boil in her veins. Her breathing started to become faster as she could feel her head swimming.

Why is this happening to me?
I just wanted to be a normal girl.
Instead I'm trapped in hell.

Nyx clutched her shirt as she struggled to breathe fully, her mind racing for an answer for her question. It felt like she had been caught in a tide and pulled out to sea. Like a thousand hands were pulling her under until the light finally faded, and she had fallen asleep from the exhaustion and her mind had finally allowed her to have a break from the hell inside her head.