Chapter 71: Duel

Aurianna's voice was a mere whisper, as she gnawed on the lifeless husks of the trees around her. Her eyes darted around, scanning the desolate landscape for any signs of life, but all that greeted her was death and destruction.

"Something doesn't make sense," Aurianna murmured, her voice laced with disbelief as she gnawed on the dead bodies of the trees.

Her thoughts swirled like a vortex, each one more convoluted and confusing than the last. She tried to unravel the mystery that suddenly worried her mind and had befallen the land, but the answer eluded her grasp.

"If Sandeph is filled with strong knights, why would they lose to the demons?" She questioned herself as she pondered hard. "Perhaps there is more to this than meets the eye," she muttered, her voice tinged with a sense of hint of amusement. "Even if their attack was unexpected," she mused, her eyes narrowing, "with Sandeph Knight's strength they should have been able to fully defend themselves. Something doesn't add up. In the past, I wasn't on the front lines when the demons first attacked. So only when I was a Saintess before I joined the war later."

As Aurianna's gaze flickered with sudden realization, memories of her past life as a Saintess flooded her mind. A surge of excitement coursed through her veins as she recalled the aftermath of the demonic invasion, the despair etched onto the faces of the survivors. She wasn't on the front lines then, but as a Saintess, she had seen the aftermath of their carnage. And the despair they had on their faces now excited her.

A twisted smile crept across Aurianna's face, as she chuckled softly to herself. The notion of pity, once a fleeting thought, now seemed laughable.

"I can't believe I felt sorry for such fools," she sneered, her voice thick with contempt. "They brought this upon themselves. The humans kidnapped and enslaved the demon's young, killing them without a second thought."

Her eyes flickered with a dangerous glint as she spoke, the darkness within her eyes growing stronger with every word. "And yet, when the demons fought back for their freedom, they were labeled as monsters. Such hypocrisy."

Aurianna's lips curled into a smirk as she savored the bitter taste of humanity's arrogance. "The truth is, humanity despises anything that challenges their so-called superiority. They are blinded by their own ignorance and greed."

"I must find out what happened before the next demon attack," she murmured, her voice low and menacing. "It will be a delight to uncover the truth."

Her grin widened, revealing a row of sharp teeth that gleamed in the dim light. Aurianna relished the thought of the chaos and destruction that lay ahead.

"I guess I must finish eating all of them before my time here ends," Aurianna grinned as her eyes narrowed with glee as she surveyed the pile of dead trees, their twisted forms contorted in agony. Her teeth gnashed on the decaying corpses of the trees, the taste of their rotting flesh sending shivers of pleasure down her spine. The forest around her seemed to tremble at the sound of her savagery.

_________________

Aurianna's smug expression betrayed her eagerness for the impending duel. She turned to Leila with a glint of anticipation in her eyes. "Leila it's finally our fifth day here, so now should we have our duel which has been extended for so long?" she purred, the excitement in her eyes burning with a fierce intensity.

"During my fourth day here, Carol spent the whole time training me, I wish she died," Aurianna said with dead eyes. As she spoke, memories of her fourth training day with Carol came flooding back, a shudder of revulsion coursing through her body.

Leila shuddered at the thought, her memories of the vicious trainer still fresh in her mind. "Same," she muttered, her voice low with dread. "I can still feel her claws ripping into my flesh."