Chapter 58: King?

_____

"The human army sure is a lot, what kingdom are they from again?" Leila asked as she stood at the top of the towering walls, gazing out at the sprawling human army as they marched towards the demon kingdom.

Squinting through her shaded lenses, Leila discerned the details of the army. Their flamboyant armor glittered in the sunlight, and they rode an array of monstrous beasts. Each soldier bore a distinct weapon and a strange large shield. While sleek airships floated above them, they had cannons on their side and on them stood robed figures wielding arcane staffs and wore black robes.

Massive golems trailed behind the human army, causing the earth to tremble with every step they took. And hovering beside the golems all were thousand sword-wielding soldiers with indifferent expressions, flying through the air on swords as if it were their natural domain. Leila clicked her tongue in displeasure. "This is going to be tough. I may not emerge from this battle unscathed."

The young man with horns at her side trembled, on the verge of tears. Leila grinned darkly, savoring the fear she inspired. "Do not weep, Melkey. I was only joking." Melkey called down a bit hearing her words.

She paused, her smile faltering. "Well, perhaps only ten percent of what I said was a joke." and Melkey froze.

He sighed as he watched Leila's white hair flutter with the wind and looked at the army ahead of them.

"I heard they came from a country called Euin," Melkey revealed, and Leila looked at him surprised.

"Oh, the kingdom of magic," Leila sneered, "The one who has allied with the Gurin Sect? They are really going all out on a bunch of demons," Leila sneered, "I won't let them have their fun, get my soldiers ready, we were stationed on the walls to protect the kingdom."

"Yes Master Leila," Melkey replied before leaping off the roof.

Leila's eyes narrowed, her gaze as cold and hard as ice. "I will not allow them to harm the Demon King, no matter the cost," she muttered.

______________

"Marcus, is this really a good idea, I mean to fight the demons?" A fair man in white armor asked, his face etched with worry. He turned to look at the imposing figure of a middle-aged man beside him, who sat astride a large floating sword.

The man's piercing brown eyes were fixed upon him, his dark skin glistening in the sun, and his muscular frame was draped in a heavy robe that barely concealed his broad chest. He covered his chest properly and stared at the young man while stroking his brown beard.

"Are you questioning the King's authority, to engage in this battle, Noude?" He asked with a deep frightening voice that caused Noude to tremble a bit, but Noude looked at him with determined eyes, "Of course, I would, why does it seem we're all cannon fodder here?"

"What do you mean?" Marcus asked, a bit curious about what Noude meant.

Noude took in deep breaths and turned to survey the army behind him. The soldiers all fidgeted, a few having a bit of confidence but the rest, their trembling armor gave them away. He then turned to look at the demon army before him that loomed before them, "Don't you realize all of us who are participating here, were either forced to join, or we had no choice! The nobles here are outcasts from their homes, and the fighters here are mercenaries or ordinary men. And we're going against those monsters," Noude bit his lips until they bled and Marcus sighed.

"Just do your best to survive. Even if we wanted to surrender, the demons hate us too much to allow us to live. So at least pretend to fight bravely," Marcus gave a fake smile. "Let's just protect as many people as we can, our main aim is to reduce our casualties."