Chapter 50: Duel

"I'm a high human, yet her kick could damage me?" Lararthius muttered to himself.

Aurianna jumped a few meters back and summoned her hover gun. However, this time it was larger than before, almost the size of a bazooka, as it floated before her. Hena noticed Aurianna's grin, and deduced that she was going to use a strong attack. Hena acted swiftly, pulling a blue wristband from her pocket and activating it just before a great boom swept dust away from Aurianna. A bright flash of light momentarily blinded everyone…the projectile sped through the air and collided with a blue force field, causing a huge explosion.

Aurianna leaned up against her gun, waiting for the smoke to dissipate. Slowly, the smoke wafted away, and Aurianna raised her eyebrows in surprise. Hena was kneeling in the sand of the coliseum, blood trickling from the corners of her mouth, and running from her nose. The blue force field around her flickered before shattering into pieces. She struggled to her feet on wobbling legs, as she spat blood onto the ground and glared fiercely at Aurianna in defiance.

"Hena!" Mirke cried.

She ran to Hena's side to support her, letting Hena's arm wrap around her own shoulders. Aurianna chuckled at their pitiful display of friendship. Mirke shot Aurianna a spiteful gaze and summoned four magic circles around her. Six wolves made of magical mist emerged from the round luminescent circles, growling and snarling at Aurianna, their fiery green eyes all aimed at her. They were huge, Aurianna estimated that they were approximately six feet tall and seven feet in length. They fanned out, surrounding Aurianna in a way that there were always three wolves that she could not see.

[ Engaging with 6 Level 50 spirit Mist Wolves.]

"Attack!" Mirke commanded.

"These wolves remind me of those Goiglers," Aurianna muttered to herself, her hover gun disappearing.

She summoned two curved blades and held them defensively. She tried to stay aware of every wolf, but it was almost impossible. Mist suddenly crept into Aurianna's view. She focused…listening in for any sound that would give the spirit wolves away. She heard the heavy tread of a wolf behind her and leapt into the air, dodging a bite from the beast's great jaw. She prepared for an [ace kick ] on the wolf's head, but it quickly jumped backwards, disappearing into the mist.

The galloping of the wolves began to intensify, and two wolves appeared, leaping from opposite sides of Aurianna. They swept their large paws at her, but Aurianna dodged one paw and blocked the other with a kick from her platinum heels. The platinum sunk into the mist form, causing ripples in it. The wolf whimpered, Aurianna felt no remorse for the pain she inflicted and quickly finished the mist wolf off by lunging at it and stabbing both her blades into its corporeal skull. The mist wolf swiftly dissipated with a light poof sound.

Before Aurianna realized it, another wolf was already mid-attack, the green flame in its eyes flared up: convinced it had caught its prey. Aurianna did not share the mist wolf's conviction and shot upwards in a lightning fast movement. She held a hand out behind her and cast a shockwave through the air, propelling herself toward the wolf. She sped straight through its fading mist, landing on the ground, where two wolves attacked her at once, trying to overwhelm her with numbers. Aurianna unleashed a flurry of blade strikes all around herself, the wolves crashed into the rushing blades and disappeared.

[ Death Magic: gunners despair ] Aurianna mumbled, spawning twenty guns scattered neatly around her. She looked around steadily as she saw many figures moving swiftly around her.

'One is that Cira girl, the others are the wolves and Lararthius. Mirke and Hena don't seem like the close combat type. My, this is fun!' Aurianna thought as she scanned the room.