Chapter 19: Death Harpy

Upon realizing her lack of strength to confront other Goiglers, Aurianna retreated into the depths of the forest, determined to face more spiders and monsters for combat. After enduring numerous intense battles, Aurianna's perseverance paid off, propelling her to an impressive level 36 before returning to the domain of the Goiglers.

As Aurianna journeyed, her keen eyes caught sight of a towering hill, which she deemed perfect for scouting her adversaries. With utmost agility, she sprinted up the hill, although the ascending process took longer than anticipated, causing her to question whether it was more of a mountain peak than a mere hill.

Reaching the summit, Aurianna swiftly summoned her trusty Sniper Shot skill and gripped her rifle, employing its scope to meticulously survey the surroundings for any sign of enemies. Maintaining focus on the task at hand, she muttered, "Let's check the quest."

In a timely fashion, the quest interface materialized before her, yet she cleverly ensured that her attention remained fixed through the rifle's scope. In her peripheral vision, she glimpsed the quest details outlined as follows:

[ Quest ]

[ Defeat 50 Goiglers before leaving the training grounds. ]

[ 9 / 50 Goiglers defeated ]

From a distance, Aurianna's sharp gaze detected the presence of four fully grown Goiglers and seven fledgling ones. However, her attention was soon captured by an intriguing discovery.

[ You have encountered a Death Harpy! ] the system chimed, prompting Aurianna to utilize her scope for a closer examination of this strange being.

In front of Aurianna stood an unusually tall and feminine being, surpassing the height of anything she had encountered before, perhaps even rivaling the stature of the white statue she had previously envisioned. This woman possessed long, flowing black hair and two horns emerging from the locations where her eyes should have resided. Her lower limbs resembled those of a bird, complete with sharp claws on her hands. Sprouting from her back were immense black wings, and her skin boasted a gray complexion. The only semblance of modesty came from the feathers adorning her feminine areas; otherwise, she would have been entirely exposed.

The system's warning echoed in Aurianna's ears:

[Enemy is too strong for you, please run away.]

[I advise you to retreat; the current enemy surpasses your capabilities].

Despite having already received this cautionary message, Aurianna's body quivered uncontrollably, overwhelmed by the immense pressure emanating from the Death Harpy.

"How could something positioned so far away, at least two hundred meters, create such an overwhelming pressure?" Aurianna questioned, her thoughts racing. Suddenly, a strange and unsettling voice urged her to take her own life. Aurianna fiercely resisted the temptation to turn the gun upon herself, but it felt as though an invisible force had taken hold of her, manipulating her actions.

In a bewildering turn of events, Aurianna's mind went blank, her consciousness fading away. Unknowingly, she mechanically spun her rifle around, succumbing to an irresistible compulsion, and pulled the trigger, causing a bullet to be discharged into her own skull.

[You have been killed by a Death Harpy.]

"What the hell?!" Aurianna exclaimed, jolting up from the ground, her heart racing with surprise and alarm. The last memory she could recall was the disturbing notion of wanting to end her own life. Wait... she had actually taken her own life.