Chapter 23: Evolving

"I'll tell Eva that you're bullying me. How can I even think about eating when my entire body is throbbing with pain?" Aurianna sobbed, dreading the thought of enduring that torturous agony once more.

"Look, you're not gonna die just by munching on it," Carol face palmed, watching Aurianna cry like a little kid being coerced into eating their veggies.

"But I'll be going through a whole lot of freaking pain, right?"

"Well, I guess that's true," Carol reluctantly admitted.

"In that case, I'm not eating it!"

"Oh, really? Cause as of now, you can't even move, and I've got these hearts in my possession. . Plus, thanks to my mind control powers, I can make you do all sorts of things," Carol smirked with an evil glint in her eyes.

Aurianna locked eyes with Carol and defiantly declared, "You wouldn't dare."

"Oh, believe me, kiddo, I freaking would!" Carol's innocent smile sent shivers down Aurianna's spine.

"I'll tell Eva," Aurianna threatened, glaring at Carol.

"You think she'll come running? She's the ruler of this whole dimension, for crying out loud. So she probably knows what I'm up to already." Carol taunted, a wicked glint in her eyes.

"Aw, damn it!" Aurianna cursed under her breath, biting her lower lip in frustration.

"Now, open wide," Carol commanded, placing the hearts in Aurianna's mouth and using her mind control to force her to swallow.

"Arrgh!" Aurianna screamed in agony as her body convulsed minutes after devouring the heart.

She began to bleed from her eyes, ears, nose, and mouth. System messages flooded her vision, announcing her death and subsequent revival. Yet, each time she revived in the same spot, still enduring the horrifying pain.

'It feels like my body is breaking apart,' Aurianna thought as she looked at Carol who was watching her with an evil smile causing Aurianna to tremble in anger.

"No way am I giving her the satisfaction of enjoying my pain. I can handle this. I'm determined to grow stronger, and no amount of agony will stand in my way!" Aurianna thought, biting her lip in determination. In a sudden burst, her skin, eyes, and hair began to emit a radiant glow.

[You have consumed the four hearts of the Crackle, unlocking new abilities and enhancing your attributes.]

[You have acquired the skills {Pain Resistance}, {Underwater Breathe}, and {Choppers}.]

[Your Defense has increased from 1,570 to 1,700.]

[Your Mana has surged from 98,000 to 120,000.]

[Your proficiency in Passive Healing has elevated from 19 to 30.]

[Your Water Magic proficiency has risen from 1 to 5.]

"Congratulations on surviving the devouring of the Crackle hearts. Although, without Eva's powers, you would have surely died," Carol applauded.

"That's great, but I still can't move," Aurianna grumbled, struggling to shift her body with no success.

"Don't worry, you'll be able to move very soon," Carol reassured her with a smile.

"I've been curious... Why do you say your skills out loud?" Carol asked curious about why Aurianna does that.

"I don't really have a choice. As long as I'm below level 200, I have to rely on spells with chants. It's only when I reach level 200 or higher that I can cast spells without the need for chants," Aurianna explained.