Only The Truth

Ram, Adi, and Bri were gossiping in Ram's cabin when Shubhu entered. Without greeting Adi and Bri, he went straight to Ram. He pulled a chair and sat.

Shubhu showed the new business proposal to Ram. Ram and Adi saw their proposal. Adi liked neither Shubhu's idea of starting a new business nor the demand for a huge sum from Ram. He was hardly handling his own. He spoke up.

Adi- Shubhu, you are hardly handling your own business. Now you want to start another? Who will take this one?

Shubhu- Just shut up, Adi. I am talking to him. And I am not alone in this. Akshay is going to be my business partner.

Adi- But this new venture will cost a lot.

Shubhu- Aab tu mujhe cost ke baare me sikhayega?

Priya entered Ram's cabin with the cupcakes Sara had sent for him. And entering she witnessed Shubhu's rude demeanor.

Ram- Shubhu! tameez se baat kar Adi se.

Shubhu- Oh! Now you will scold me in front of outsiders?

Ram- Adi is not an outsider. He is like family. He is my brother.

Shubhu- Of course! Adi is your brother, Bri is your sister. You will prioritize them over us. Of course. After all Shivi and I are step-siblings to you, no? So it is okay to humiliate us.

The last words pierced Ram's heart like always. These words were told to him uncountable times. They say time heals everything. But how can time heal everything when words create a fresh wound every time?

Shubhu stormed out of the room ignoring Priya's presence. Priya stood near the door looking at her wounded husband. A storm of rage and pain started to storm inside her. Adi and Bri were equally hurt as Ram. Bri's eyes became teary seeing Ram to be treated in this way. She felt helpless. Adi stood there looking at the floor, feeling guilty for even thinking of saying something to Shubhu.

Adi- Sorry, yaar. I shouldn't have spoken.

Adi spoke in a low tone. Ram looked up to console him suppressing his own pain.

Ram- Areh, nahi yaar, sorry maat bol... Priya, tum?

All three of them noticed Priya a few moments later. Bri and Ram tried to hide their tears. Adi welcomed her with a big fake smile trying to hide all of the heartache.

Adi- Priya! What did bring for us? Ram, look, Sara ki bakery ka bag.

Ram- Areh, ha. What did Sara di send?

Bri- Sara is pampering them so much, I'm telling you, Priya.

Bri walked towards Priya and held her hand. Priya tried to put on a fake smile like all of them.

Priya- Saradi sent some cupcakes.

Adi- Cupcakes, Ram!

Ram- Wow! Cupcakes.

Ram and Adi tried to show enthusiasm. Ram walked towards Priya and took the bag from her. Adi cleared a space on Ram's table. Adi and Ram took out the cupcakes and started eating them. Their pain made their favorite chocolate cupcake a hard rock to swallow. After finishing only half of a cupcake Adi spoke up.

Adi- Ram, Priya, I suddenly remembered. We need to leave. We have a family thing. Right, Babe?

Bri- Ha?... Ha. Ha. We have a thing. Bye Ram, Bye Priya.

Bri supported Adi in his impromptu lie. She hugged Priya and then Ram and bade them goodbye. Ram then hugged Adi. Their hug lingered longer than usual. Then they bade each other goodbye.