The Gift

Everyone was preparing for Shivi's vidaai. Shivi went to her room to change into another lehenga she prepared for this ceremony. 

Ram was happy. But he felt that he should apologize to Shubhu. He walked towards him. Shubhu was with Nandini and mama-mami. 

Ram- Shubhu, I'm sorry. 

Nandini- Why are you apologizing, Ram? 

Ram- Mom, all of us wanted Shubhu to do the ritual. Shubhu even prepared for that. But at the last moment... Shivi...

Mami- Shivi aapni khud ki vai ki baare me nahi sochi. Kuch samajh nahi usko- kaun aapna, kaun paraya. 

Mami had said these exact words many times before. Each time these words stabbed Ram. But not anymore. 

Kaun aapna, kaun paraya...

Ram always felt his family pitied him as an orphan, as he had no one in this world. But today Shivi's words...

"I can imagine only you when I try to imagine Dad..."

Shivi's words brought solace to him. 

"My Shivi considers me her family. She loves me as her older brother. Dare I think it, she prioritized me over Shubhu. She loved me enough to pause her own planned wedding. Shivi hates disruption. Yet she disrupted her own ritual. Just for me and nobody else." Ram thought. 

Nandini glared at Mitu mami. To do some damage control she spoke. 

Nandini- Shivi did the right thing. Ram is my eldest son. It was only right that he did the ritual. I also wanted to ask the priest, you know. But it slipped my mind, I am becoming old, na? 

Shubhu- And to be very honest. I don't care about these. You know me, vai. 

Ram smiled. 

Ram- I'll go and bring Shivi for the vidaai.

Ram went to bring Shivi. Nandini turned to Mitu mami. 

Nandini- Vaabi, when you were leaving your village, did you also leave your brain there? Do you want me to turn into a typical villainous stepmom? Vaia, please handle your wife. I don't want any more trouble in my life. I already have enough. 

Mama- Sorry, Nandu. 

Nandini- I have to remove that Priya from Ram's life. I can't bear to lose Ram's love and trust in me. And I want no more drama at my Shivi's wedding. 

Saying this Nandini also went to Shivi's room. 

*

Ram- May I come in? 

Shivi- Of course, Ram vai. Tell me how do I look? 

Shivi twirled to show her pink lehenga.

Ram- Of course the most beautiful bride. 

Shivi- I was confused about whether to choose this lehenga or that for the wedding. Then I thought why not choose both? One for the main event, one for the vidaai. Smart, na? 

Ram- Of course. 

Shivi sat in front of the dressing table. Ram dragged a tool and sat beside her. He picked two bangles from the dressing table. 

Ram- Will you wear these?

Shivi- Yeah. 

Ram- Give me your hands. 

Ram started to make her wear those bangles. 

Ram- Today my sister is looking just like an angel. So beautiful.