Knock Knock

It was an afternoon. Shivi was working in the bakery with Sara. Working in this bakery has been Shivi's newly found passion. She has started to work in this bakery on a regular basis.

Sara- Shivi, you have worked a lot today. Go home now.

Shivi- No Sara di. I want to work more. I absolutely love your bakery. It's so cute. And I have a mind-blowing idea. I think we should tie up with Ram vai's company. We will supply the snacks. What do you think about it? 

Sara laughed listening to Shivi. 

Sara- Shivi, Ram is a part of our family. Then how would it be a business plan? 

Shivi- So what? If I tell this to Ram vai, he'll accept it in a second. He never says no to me. 

Sara- But won't that be taking advantage of him? 

Shivi frowned 

Sara- I mean, he must have a system regarding this in his office. Someone must supply the snacks already. Now forcing Ram to break the deal with that person, doesn't sound right. Also, Ram may have his preference in this matter and as a family we should support and respect that, right? 

Shivi- But he never says no to me. He fulfills my every wish with a smile. 

Sara- That's because he loves you. He loves to make you smile. If anyone loves us, we should be grateful for it and love them back. We shouldn't use the opportunity to make them fulfill all of our wishes without thinking about them.

Shivi- I've never thought like this, Saradi. He promised me that he will be always there for me. So, I demanded more. I've never thought about him really. 

Sara- It's never too late. 

.
.
.

That night Ram came home early in the evening. He found Priya on the bed reading a book. He was planning on how to apologize to Priya. He went to take a shower so that he could think about it. After 15 mins he came out and sat in front of Priya. Priya ignored him and kept reading the book. 

Ram- Are you still mad at me? 

Priya- I am not mad at anyone. My face is like this. Khadoos. 

Ram- I am sorry. I shouldn't have said that. 

Priya- No, you don't have to apologize. I am khadoos. Even driver kaka said that today. Ask anyone. Everyone will say I am khadoos. It is the truth. 

Ram- Actually, I... 

Priya- Mr. Kapoor, I didn't want you to face any discomfort for me. I have been alone for a long time and I can stay like that. You don't need to bother. And this isn't a taunt. I am genuinely telling you so. 

Ram- Yeah, I got that. But much later. Actually, it was me who taunted you and shouted at you. I shouldn't have done that. You were only concerned for me. And you were right. It was really uncomfortable for me to ride an auto. But I thought I should give you company and if we save petrol you'll be contented. I thought, otherwise you'd give me another lecture on saving petrol. 

Priya- Petrol, water, electricity- these are valuable to us. Petrol is a non-renewable energy source, electricity comes from non-renewable energy sources too. Our water level is decreasing day by day. If you don't take the necessary steps there will be nothing left for our future generation. That's why I talk about saving these things. I am sorry if I've hurt you by talking about these things. 

Ram- No, not at all. On the contrary, thank you for educating me. It's just. You are perfect in every sense, Priya. You are always right. And I don't know why but I felt challenged by your knowledge and the way you carry yourself. It's admirable. But I...

Priya- Because you always want to be the hero. 

Ram- Perhaps. Actually, I like appreciation. There are hardly any people whom I can call my own. So, I try to find belongingness in people's appreciation. Kitna achha lagta hain na jab koi kehta hain, "thank you vaia, aapne ye kar dia, wo kar dia." Usme hi mein aapnapan dhoond leta hoon. 

Priya- You have so many people to call your own. You have Adi, Bri, Shivi, Kunal, Vikrant, and mom. And you are also on the verge of snatching my mother. Then why do you consider yourself alone? 

Ram- I don't know, Priya. I don't know... Whenever I enter the house it feels like a weird emptiness is there to devour me. I don't know what's eating me from inside. But... 

Priya kept quiet. She didn't know what to say. Whatever Ram felt, she felt too through all these lonely years. Though she had a loving family they weren't always by her side. They couldn't be always by her side. 

Priya- Once I read a quote. That, "We are born, we live alone, we die alone. Only through love and friendship can we create an illusion for a moment that we're not alone." At the end of the day, Mr. Kapoor, we are all alone. Not being alone is nothing but an illusion. Nobody can stay by your side always. 

Ram agreed with a nod. He stared at the floor. His pain was quite obvious. Priya felt bad for him. She tried to cheer him up. 

Priya- Knock knock. 

Ram- ha? 

Priya- Knock Knock

Ram- Who's there? 

Priya- Hawaii.

Ram- Hawaii who? 

Priya- I'm fine. How are you? 

It took a few seconds for Ram to comprehend the joke. 

Ram- [Laughing] Oh my god. Your jokes are worse than mine. 

Priya- That's why I can laugh at your bad jokes. 

They both started laughing. 

Ram- By the way, Priya, if I act like a daft prick ever again. Feel free to scold me right there. All of my friends do that and you should too. 

Priya- Ok. But I am an expert in scolding. You might cry if I do so. 

Ram- And that's what I deserve. I am really sorry for today. 

Priya- It's okay, Mr. Kapoor. Mujhe aadat hain ye sab sunne ki. Let's have dinner. 

Ram- Okay. I'm famished as always.