A Small Change

The next day,

Priya is very busy. The library in her varsity is to receive some new books, and she supervises the procedure. Priya is helping to carry the boxes filled with books. She takes a box and enters the escalator. Ram is in there too.

Ram- Good morning. 

Priya- Good morning. 

Ram- You are so early today!

Priya- [scrunching her eyebrows] I come to the varsity at this time every single day.

Ram- Oo. But I've never seen you before. 

Priya- That's because usually, I take the stairs.

Ram- So, what's the special occasion today? 

Priya- Are you blind? Can't you see the boxes?

Ram says sorry to Priya. But in his mind, he starts to think, "Too much yaar. Why does she scold so much? I didn't notice the boxes. So what? And what's your problem, Ram? Why do you get so excited to talk to her? Be cool. Keep calm."

He decides not to ask further questions. But now he starts to wonder what is in the box. It becomes hard for him to kill his curiosity. He starts to speak again. 

Ram- By the way, what's in the box? 

Priya- Books. 

Ram- Books? It must be so heavy. Why are you carrying it? Where is the delivery guy? 

Priya- I'm helping the delivery guy. 

Ram- Why? It's his work. 

Priya- So? It's my work too to ensure all the books reach the library. The guy has already taken other boxes. This box was left behind. So I picked it up. It will save time. And what's wrong with lending a hand? 

"What's wrong with lending a hand?- A new perspective", Ram thinks, "Priya is truly unique. I hardly know any person who thinks like her, who is always ready to help others and who thinks about others."

A thought crosses Ram's mind, "Would Vedika do it? Never in a thousand years. Forget about helping a delivery guy. She wasn't even ready to help our friends. She is elegant, that's true. But to remain elegant she avoids helping others. She looks soft, but Priya feels to be softer." 

Suddenly his trance breaks as his phone rings. It is Adi. He receives the call. At the same time, Priya's floor comes. She gets down. Ram mutters a small bye under his breath. 

After talking to Adi suddenly it hits him that he was comparing Vedu with Priya. 

He mentally scolds himself, "Woah! Ram. What happened to you? Why are you comparing them? Chill yaar."

.
.
.

In the evening, Priya texts Ram to inquire about his departure time and if he could spare some time as she has something important to discuss. Ram receives the text in the middle of a discussion with his friends. They were discussing who should be Ram's date at Shivi's engagement party. Ram was trying to make them understand that he'll be just fine alone. But Bri wasn't ready to be pursued so easily. She started to scold Adi. 

Bri- You are of no use, Adi. How many times I've told you to find a date for Ram? 

Adi- Baby, what can I do? Ram doesn't even want to look at another girl. 

Ram- Guys, guys, I'm fine. I'll be fine alone. 

Bri- I know how fine you are gonna be. You'll be in a corner, holding a glass of whiskey and gawking at Shashi and Vedika with tears in your eyes. Every party same story. 

Kunal- Bri, you forgot Ram's fav chant. "Shashi kitni lucky hai na"- chant on lips. 

They all ignored Ram's protest and started to discuss possible dates. Ram was listening to them with a frown on his face. Meeting a new girl is always a hassle for him. The last date his friend set him up with was a horrible one. Apparently, the girl was living on water only and spending all her money on her hair, clothes, bags, and shoes. Ram is definitely not ready to listen to a lecture on a water diet once again. 

When Ram is bored to death the text from Priya arrives. The frown on Ram's face disappears and a light smile appears. He replies to Priya that he can meet her right now. 

Bri notices this change in his expression. 

Bri- What happened Jaan?

Ram- Hmm? What happened? 

Bri- Why are you smiling all of a sudden? 

Ram becomes aware of his smile that he previously didn't notice. He fails to answer Bri. He just gives a blank look. 

Bri- Who texted you? 

Ram- Ha?...... Wo.... I've just got a way to save myself from your boring discussion. That's why I am happy. Wo... Priya texted. She needs to discuss something important to discuss about rather than your childish chitter chatter. 

Bri- We are childish, huh?

Ram- Ha.

Bri- And how is Priya?

Ram- Kaafi sensible and mature than you lot. 

Saying this Ram goes to meet Priya at the staircase as decided. While Bri smiles looking at him. Bri draws the gang's attention to Ram's change. 

Bri- Guys, have you noticed how Ram has started to smile at the mention of Priya? Ye Priya na hume bade achhe lagne lage hain.