Far Yet Closer I

Adi- Ram, what is your problem yaar? 

Ram- What did I do now?

Adi- I met Shashi today. He told Vedika is in your house. 

Ram- Ek second. Hold. Mom, I need to leave for the office. It's urgent. Priya, I'm going. 

Priya- But breakfast?

Ram- I'll take it with me. I won't waste it. And please, please, aaj car me aajana varsity. Don't take the auto. Bye. 

Ram ran to the car with a rolled paratha in one hand and his phone in the other. 

Ram- Ha Adi, Wo, mom brought her. 

Adi- Auntie brought her and you let her stay? How'd Priya feel, yaar? Doesn't she know that Vedika is your ex?  

Ram- She knows.

Adi- Still, you kept Vedika at KM? Ram, what happened to you, vai? How hurt must Priya be? 

Ram- She isn't, Adi. I talked to Adi. She's fine. She's ok with it. Did you really think that I wouldn't ask for her approval? 

Adi- Priya's ok? Baby, Priya's okay.

Bri- Whaaat! Buddhu ho tum sab, useless ho.

Bri screamed through the phone. Ram moved it from his ear.

Bri- Adi, video call karo. 

Adi- Ok, baby. 

Ram saw the notification of incoming video call. He picked it up. Bri literally jumped over Adi and took the phone from him. 

Bri- Jaan, what's happening? When did you become so insensitive? Priya isn't saying anything that doesn't mean she's okay with it. 

Ram- How'd I know that? Yaar, how'd... I mean, I'm not a mind reader. And let me tell you. You two are giving me a lot of stress. Even Priya didn't yell at me like this.

Bri- Because that's your Priya.

Ram didn't say anything. 

Bri- Just think Ram. If Neeraj starts to live in your house now, how will you feel? Are you getting my point?

Ram hummed in response. He looked away. He seemed to be immersed in his thoughts. Bri and Adi waited in anticipation, waited for Ram to say something more than a "hmm". But Ram didn't say anything. Adi called him by his name.

Adi- Ram, where are you now? 

Ram- I am near the office. 

Adi- Ok. Come to the office, then we'll talk. 

Bri was about to say something more but Adi cut the call. Bri yelled at him in frustration. 

Bri- Adi, why did you cut the call? I need to talk to Ram. He can't do this to Priya. Why should our Priya see that gadhika's face every morning? It's not fair, Adi. 

Adi- Baby, we have said enough for Ram. He gets stressed easily, you know that. If we yell at him now he will start popping his stress pills. I care for Priya too. But for me, Ram comes first. He's my brother. Let him come to the office. We will talk to him. Shanti se baithke baat karenge, ok? 

Bri- [sulking] Ok. 

On the other side, Ram started to think about what he would do if Neeraj was in a problem and had started to live with them. Even the thought of it infuriated him. The idea of Neeraj being around Priya made him clench his jaw and fist.

"I can't tolerate Neeraj and Priya together even in Meera maa's house. And last night Vedika was about to enter our bedroom, that too in the middle of the night. When Priya was struggling to sleep."