Karva Chauth

Ram spent the whole day with Shivi giving her lessons about the start-up. He called Priya once to enquire if she had eaten. To which Priya replied positively. 

In the evening, Ram brought Shivi and her in-laws with him to the Kapoor mansion. He then went to the room to freshen up. There she met Priya. His eyes fell on her dry face. 

Ram- Priya, are you ok? 

Priya- Yeah, I am perfectly fine. Are you? 

Ram- I am. Meera maa fed me a lot. and gave me a nice black sherwani. See. I am gonna wear this. Isn't it nice? 

Priya- Yeah, it is. 

Ram- You don't look ok. Don't tell me that hunger troubles you more than it troubles me. 

Priya- I am fine. I am completely fine. And I am used to keeping fast. It must be new for you. 

Ram- Not at all. I have kept fast for Puja before. Achha, get ready. Everyone has arrived. I'll get ready too. 

After a few moments, Ram knocked on the door and entered the room to find her in a beautiful red salwar suit. 

Ram- Mom gave you this one. Nice. 

Priya- Mom didn't give me this. It was mine. 

Ram- What did Mom give to you? 

Priya- A designer saree and a pair of diamond bangles. 

Ram- Won't you wear those? 

Priya- No. 

Ram kept quiet for a few moments and then he spoke.

Ram- Are you going to reject all of our gifts just because they are expensive? 

Priya didn't reply. Ram left the room. 

Priya's eyes welled up. 

Priya- I don't wear those because they come with taunts. 

*

Ram stood with his friends on the terrace. 

Vikrant- Oye Romeo. Are you keeping fast for Priya?

Ram- Don't call me that. I am not Romeo. Eating while she was fasting didn't seem right. 

Bri- Adi, learn something from Ram. And you are still eating. 

Adi- Baby, I am eating to support you. Who will support you if you faint?

Kunal- Leave all that. Tell me why you look so gloomy.

Ram- Priya, yaar. She doesn't wear a single saree or jewelry that we gifted her. I mean, I can understand that she doesn't like wearing expensive things, she believes in communism and all that. And I promised her that I won't give her anything expensive without asking her. But... today she won't even accept mom's gift. Mom bought a designer saree and a pair of diamond bangles for her. But she won't wear those. I mean she could keep her values aside at least for mom, at least for an evening, right? 

Bri- But you know her. She...

Ram- ...loves her values, I know. Even I know. But mom will get hurt to see her in that attire. Mom must have wanted her to wear the saree. Even I am wearing the sherwani Meera maa gifted me. Gifts ki koi kadar hi nahi hain madam ko. 

Adi- This is not fair to my brother. I mean, itna kya? 

Bri- Adi keep quiet. Priya is not like us. She's different. You won't understand her. 

Ram- I genuinely respect and admire her differences. But sach me yaar, itna kya? Mom ko kitna bura laage ga. 

Priya arrived on the spot soon. Ram's eyes fell on her. Ram couldn't deny that she looked ethereal in that suit. Bri noticed his dazed look.