"Domi?" My Mama mumbled.

"Yes Mama?"

".. Your Papa," She paused— I think she was trying to find the best way to say what she wanted too. ".. your Papa loves you— more than he shows you, understand?"

I still remember how that me feel as a child— the fact my Mama had to reassure me that my own father loved me didn't feel.. right.

"Domi," My Mama spoke hesitantly. ".. mi vida?"

I then pointed towards the TV and said simply, "Dumbo."

My Mama raised a brow and and looked back over her shoulder at the screen— she didn't understand and as soon to be five year old it was hard to articulate.

"Papa don't like Dumbo," I muttered nervously into the baby blue fabric of her blouse. "Domi like Dumbo."

"I know you do, you really like Dumbo." She giggled— Mama was a simple woman.

I began to get fustrated pulled back— looking up at her with furrowed brows, "No Mama, Domi like Dumbo."

I guess it clicked in that moment because the whole world seemed to go silent.
She pressed her lips together in a firm line— obviously fustrated and obviously thinking.

"Oh," My Mama kissed my forehead and held me close. "I see.. Papa doesn't just like you, mi vida, he loves you— understand?"

I had hid my face in her chest again— and only nodded. When I was young I tended to not say anything when I didn't believe something— but right then the sounds of a knob twisting and locks unlocking echoed throughout the first floor.
And then the familiar creak of the front door being pushed opened— at that moment, when I seen my father take of his shoes and hang up his jacket before looking at both Mama and me; I think back then, I truly believed he loved me.

"Dami? You're home early.." Mama had questioned pleasantly.

"Of course I am, Aury— I'll be free the entire weekend." He scoffed; my Father was an intimadating man— over six foot and had a decent fit of muscle. But minus any of that he came from the Pierce family— and had taken over Pierce Co. a main supplier of electronic parts for major onbrand companies.

"There's my boy," My Father ruffled my black hair and sighed. ".. it's your birthday weekend so your Dad here chose to lose precious time for you, Dominic, you better enjoy this. Also," He opened his work bag and glanced at me— I had grown to get over how I inherited his green eyes but for a while once I grew older I hated it. ".. Dad here rented out a whole go-kart track for your birthday party.. and I bought you this." He had given me one of those toy car models and it was of your stereotypical red, Ferrari.

I remember I took it from my Father because even though I'd rather him just had gotten me a cheap Dumbo toy instead of a $150 collectable car model the fact he got me something made me happy.

"Thank you, Papa." I had said back with a giddy smile but he didn't smile back— just another hair ruffle.

"Damian.." My Mama grumbled.

"What? Aury, come on.. I'm tired," That was my Father's go-to reasoning and there were times I didn't think he was lying. ".. y'know what—" He kissed Mama in that moment— I think it was first time I'd ever seen them actually kiss.