Chapter 131: The Council of Avalon

[City of Avalon]

Two days has passed since then, Asagi is currently wasting her time to tour all around the city made by the mages of the north themselves. Just like she expected, no matter where she goes, the city is filled to the brim of people who is aligned in search of the root of magic. During her idle stay Amos splits off from Asagi as he plans to do something else in the city rather than simply sightseeing.

Based on the expression on his face, one could even guess that something piqued Amos curiosity in this city, causing him to act in such a way. With that, bringing Leon along with him, the pair then left the group as they headed deeper into the city.

Speaking of obsession, since every single person here is like competing to reach the deep knowledge of the root of magic, Asagi herself also became curious of such term to the point that she visited the grand library of the city and searched the description pertaining the obsession of everyone in this city.

Based on her what she learns, root of magic or 'The root' pertains to a type of origin wherein magic itself branches out. It is the answer to everything and the cause of everything that happens in this world. Since the root is the origin of magic, everyone believed that such type of magic is the most powerful and the most complex magic there is and anyone who could master such magic, can be considered on the level of a god.

Aside from the benefit of divinity form such power, longevity is what all mages are after which is only second to power and above the importance of knowledge. For people who stays in this city, they all had the knowledge they can get just by staying in this city itself, they aren't lacking in that aspect. The only thing that hinders the mages from reaching the root is their lifespan.

Due to the fact that a human life is short and its not long enough to reach the answer to the root, most of the mages left notes and drawings regarding their research of the root with the thought of passing down their knowledge towards the next generation in case they kick the bucket in one of this days. based on the record that was found regarding the history of this city, the city itself can almost be considered as an ancient city that had already existed for about 2,000 years after the great calamity, basically year 2,000 agc

The great calamity itself is the event which literally shook the world due to the sudden change in had undergone within a year. During that year many people had died due to the calamity that shrouded the world. That was the year where the age of gods had ended and the start of the age of man. It was also depicted that the all the gods during that calamity had died which brought us today where there are no gods in this world.

From the year 0 agc up to this day the people spent their time finding the root that had once had existed in this world, the ultimate form of magic.

Putting everything that was said aside, the thing that made Asagi became curious even more towards this city, is the fact that there aren't only mages in this city. There were also scholars merchant, and some minor labor force that kept the city functioning, but aside from them there is also another great force in this city aside from the mages, the alchemist.

 The alchemist are people who practice alchemy, a mix of magic and science and plans to improve the lifestyle of everyone using such  branch of knowledge. Alchemy is an ancient branch of natural philosophy, a philosophical and protoscientific tradition that was historically practiced in China, India, the Muslim world, and Europe back on earth.

But in accordance to the goal, the alchemist people had another goal in mind aside from the root and that is the search for the philosopher's stone. The philosopher's stone is a mythical substance supposed to change any metal into gold or silver and, according to some, to cure all diseases and prolong life indefinitely. Its discovery was the supreme object of alchemy. The philosopher's stone was the central symbol of the mystical terminology of alchemy, symbolizing perfection at its finest, enlightenment, and heavenly bliss. Efforts to discover the philosopher's stone were known as the Magnum Opus