Chapter 58: The Ice Covered Port Town IV

[[Ice Covered Port Town]]

At the brink of twilight, wherein the light in the skies started to dim in the color of darkness and stars slowly took over the scenery above, Michael himself was currently lodging on the bartender table at the only sole active tavern in town. Despite being an active operational tavern, the tavern itself isn't that boisterous in comparison to the other kingdom's tavern they had previously visited.

If one could define the tavern, then the tavern itself had literally the same atmosphere as the whole town was currently undergoing. Sadness, fear, doubt, despair, desperation, and many more. All of such atmosphere circulating around the town stems from the root cause of monsters frequently attacking the town at night.

Even though the town's residents had survived a month from the monster waves by defending their homes, they still incurred a lot of casualties in exchange for struggling for so long. Through that  Michael then can easily conclude that  if the situation goes on, the town itself or whatever that is left of it wouldn't last for another month.

The men were tired, the children were going hungry, the women were begging other's to take care of them to survive out of desperation, and the food stock were slowly being depleted as time goes on.

As if the monster waves attacking at night wasn't enough, their only source of food in the sea are also not safe, due to monsters lurking beneath the water surface which also scares the edible fishes away, thus aiding the hunger strike of the town.

During the day after he got kicked out by the guy who was rumored to know a bit or two about the monster waves due to the tragedy he had experienced, Michael himself was often approached by some ragged looking women in the town as they begged to be his slave in exchange for them to survive for another day. Some of them were even desperate to the point that one shouted out that she will do whatever he wants, even if she will give up her chastity to him just to survive.

Such a desperation was truly hard to look at and truly hard to ignore. Thus when he left those desperate group of women aside, those women who somehow had saw the small chance to escape from this hell through him, had immediately broken down in despair when he had completely ignored them.

Letting out a huge sigh, Michael then drank the glass full of water as he asks for a refill from the tavern owner. During that time Sandalphon had then entered the tavern with her whole purple armor hidden underneath her own silk cloak, and seated beside Michael who seemed at lost on what to do.

"You look like shit!" said Sandalphon

"... Watch your language... were angels... it is taboo for us to speak those cursed words, i will ignore what you just said right now...  but the next time you utter such words, i will personally kill you" said Michael as he carrassed his temple

"First of all got that... second we're archangels... third ill keep that in mind... and forth you wont be able to kill me that easily" said Sandalphon

"I know... but that doesn't change the fact that i have the strength to kill every last archangel myself" said Michael

"Hah! who died and made you think your stronger than me?" asks Sandalphon

"Confidence and faith" answered Michael

"Ah! yes faith... no wonder" said Sandalphon as she placed her hand under her chin

After Sandalphon had gone silent, Michael then leaned back on his chair as he asked her about her findings when she roamed the town alone.

"So... what did you find?" 

"Nothing much... the only thing i found out in this place aside from the oozing atmosphere of desperation and despair, is a wide cemetery just right outside of town" said Sandalphon