44. Nazdeekiya

AAMIRA

I was determined that today I will go to my sister's mehendi ceremony. I walked inside the mansion and heard the clattering of horse foot, I went over to the balcony area and overlooked the source of the sound, Aadheesh sitting on the horse, not alone but other men with him dressed in a blue suit designed for horse riding, with white trousers, boots that reached his knees. A lot of men dressed in the same way around him, hockey sticks in their hands, while they were riding through and playing along.

I chose not to disturb him. I kept myself awake thinking he will show up but even yesterday night he didn't come over. He acted so rashly yesterday, but I don't understand what he stopping him from claiming me. All the people got off their horses and started to walk through, together talking with each other.

They were the landholders of all the places around Chandravanipur. I have known them well, they were regulars in Chandravani Haveli, and some of the girls in chandravani haveli are daughters of these people.

They all sat around in the house still talking loud and clear, laughing in the midst.

When I heard someone behind me. I turned around, "Sir, asked for you, ma'am!" The man told me, his hands twined together and head down. Why would he call me with so many people around? Wouldn't this hurt his reputation?

I wondered to myself but I followed this man along, I was not dressed extraordinarily today, dressed in a red suit and heavy dupatta on my shoulder I walked along.

Soon I was nearby the house and the men turned to acknowledge me. All eyes carefully evaluate me. I wondered what this meant.

When finally I was there, he too turned to look at me, his eyes scanning me, he gave a small approval nod and then went back to people who now stood up, each of them shook hands with him and dismissed themselves. He watched them go and only after they disappeared he turned to face me.

"Why did you show me to them like this?" I wondered, asking.

"I want the words to get out! It's none of your business, come here," he said, and gesturing from his hand, he asked me to come closer to him.

I blinked several times before I took a small step ahead. But he caught my waist and pulling me at his side he started to walk towards the horse.

I started to question his motives, "What is-" but he halted before the horse and then extended his hand. I looked between him and the horse.

"I saw you looking at us from the porch. Ride it," he said. "Practice on this to ride on me later." He said and pulled me himself and urged me to sit down on the horse I kept my foot ahead taking his head as I sat up on the horse, him following my trail and sitting right behind me. His face was in my hair, his hands probably hugging me from behind while he had the rein of a horse in his hand.