22. Intekhab

MUQDA

I walked back and forth in my room that I use to share with Aamira, my mind lingering upon everything that happened a while ago. My step halted and I turned around as my empty gaze hovered over Aamira's bed.

I just found out, how she feels about the man I despise.

He... Just proposed to me. What am I supposed to do?

~

PREVIOUSLY

"I have already publically announced that I will marry you? So I will. And we will have this baby. And I will protect it and look after it. With all my life."

"I don't want to marry you. Do you know why I did it on the stage? So I can get out of the situation."

"Now! You will have to. I won't hear a word against my decision. You know it's illegitimate. Let's make sure that this child never gets called that vicious and atrocious word ever." his words froze. And I was left there staring into his soul with a question of my own. Is this person bipolar?  One minute he is yelling at me that I am trying to ruin his life by intentionally getting pregnant with his child. And another minute, telling me that he wants to protect it.

"I decided to give birth or not. I decide its future. You are nobody. Nobody! Do you want to raise this child? You weren't even ready to accept it when you found out. You screamed in front of everyone that I am a goddamn prostitute. You abandoned it before you could have known about it. And now, you have the audacity to come and tell me to give birth and give my child to you? "

"Because you said, you don't want to raise it."

"I said it 'cause you said that I am planning all this?" I retorted. And he nodded and took his head down.

"Fine. I am wrong. I understand. I accept it." He said stepping behind and with both his hands in the air, telling me that he became the mature guy who took the fall, for the first time realized. Then he raised his eyes and met mine, "Marry me? Don't you want it to have a family? To be raised in a respectful home? Have both his mother and father? To be happy? " His eyes gleamed when he said it. And I wanted to see hope in them, I did, but I was blind.

"Father? Do you know, all this while you denied to acknowledge it? When Aadheesh came to me. He didn't even think twice before he said he will take us in." I accused him,

"So? You are going to raise it with him? Remember Taara! Blood will always be thicker than water." he said I stepped back and shook my head. It's not. It never will.

"I am the living example that it's not. And Muqda Ali! I am Muqda Ali. Never again make the mistake of calling me Taara." I warned him, and he nodded repeatedly and stepped forward.

"I get it, you hate me. And you deny to accept me and that I will be the right person ever for this child. But it's mine, right? And you can't change the fact, you are overwhelmed right now. And you are just extremely in a place where you will never see me in good light. I understand. So I will give you some time? Huh? Think about it. Aadheesh will never love it. He is not even capable of caring about someone. Let alone love. He will always treat it like a burden that came with you. And I have the intuition that he has other motives for this. So, don't be in haste. Think? We can give it to a family. While he is just going to give it a name." He said and backed off slowly, and left.

~

Chandravani Haveli was a mess after Saubhagya took me from here. He was adamant about leaving me alone to set the fire and going back.  And now all this question in me? It was hard to come back to normal.

"Hey! You aren't sleeping?" I heard Aahil at the door. He was at the door and he will never come in, it was the rule for Chandravani Haveli. No man can step inside here.

"Mmm, you must be busy. After all, everything around you revolves around the Agnivanshi brothers."

"Stop being silly. You know, it's not good. Everything is... Just..."

"Well, you are back at Haveli. It all worked out for me." He said and I smiled as both of us laughed.

"How is Aamira?"

"She is good, back at Rajkot Haveli. She has got Stockholm syndrome. In her bookish language." I taunted when he smiled again. "And you don't like it?" He further inquired.

"It's not about the matter of liking. That guy isn't genuine. He is using her. To hurt me. And now I am in a bigger problem. I think I might have to leave the Haveli for good this time. But what is even more troublesome is, Aamira might get entangled in a situation where she will be asked to fill my role. And you know, it's impossible. I can never let her do it. "

"Then don't leave." He said in a heartbeat.

I can never let the child be raised in the Haveli. As one of them.

"Good night, Aahil."

~
ABHIRAJ

I had to be vague with Aamira and tell to her to go, after all this. Because now, I no longer want to use her as my weapon to harm Muqda. Her heart broke when I told her and passed by her, and I feel responsible.

I don't know why, I had a sudden change of heart and it ached me to be so ass with her earlier.

I think I was not accusing her, I was trying to deny the reality because I was pressured under pride and honors.

When she told me she will get rid of it, the wave got through me as I imagined her ending it and sudden rage overtook me. I came to realize I care about it. Little too much.

I stepped onto the terrace on the second floor. As I stepped outside and looked at the ashes and the floor.

I do want the child because I care. But it won't be so bad having her under my fist. At least she won't be causing troubles.

~