40. Tajweez

MUQDA

He left me on the terrace alone as he went ahead. And after that, I have been roaming around this whole Haveli trying to find my room back. But it seems impossible, while I was walking with him I didn't realize where was the way he was taking me and now I can't find my way back, after a long while strolling in the corridor I finally found someone walking ahead. It was an old man. I was not sure who it was, so I fasten my steps to reach that man who turned towards me when he felt my steps behind him.

He was a very old man, unlike Baba,  straight posture, a wide frame, and looked past sixty for his age, yet had a proud body. His eyes traveled my body, not in a dirty way, just looking at who I was.

And it took me a while to realize he was Gauravya Agnivanshi,

I bowed to him joining both my hand together, and took my rise again,
"I have lost my way, can you tell me-"

"You shouldn't be roaming around the parts of Haveli you know nothing about."  I nodded frantically, apologizing to him,  he nodded, as he gestures his hand ahead, "Now that you are here, let's have tea." it was an order with authority, not an option, I followed him when he took me to another terrace, but this terrace overlooked a very beautiful flower garden which I didn't even know existed in this gruesome Haveli.

I halted to admire its beauty from a distance when he offered me to sit. I smiled and sat down, making sure I am well in my shape because he was Abhiraj's father after all. And whatever the relationship is supposed to be between us, technically I am his daughter-in-law.

"What is your name?" he asked me, and I was torn between saying Taara, and Muqda. If I say Muqda he will realize that I was raised as an Islamic, what if that stirs trouble?

Apparently, I had taken so long to answer and his face waited eagerly and I just spat in the haste, "Taara Raajnandan!" I said and he frowned,

"But I heard it was Muqda." He already knows. I closed my eyes turning my head down.

"What do you do?" He asked me, I blinked.

I am a whore.

"I don't do a job." I lied, and his face gave the I know it looks, but I ignored it. "How do you meet my son?" was he trying to trap me the same way he did with the name?

"He had business with Baba, so he came over to our home," I replied honestly, what business isn't necessary to be specified? He nodded and kept his one leg on another.

"What are your qualifications?" he asked me and here I was left shunt. I had nothing to say. I have no qualifications. I was never sent to any school. I was illiterate.