PROLOGUE

MUQDA

MUQDA

"Muqda! Muqda!" Aahil ran behind me, while I stormed inside the dance arena of the bar, filled with red light and yellow lights, shining upon our heads, and people sitting on the round table around the bar, all the eyes settled on me, they prey on me, undressing me with their dirty eyes. They must have realized that I am not for sale, given my black lakhanvi.

"Muqda! Stop!" He yelled at me, caught my arm, twirled me around in his arms, and rashly collided on his chest, his enraged eyes looking down at me. His hold on my forearm was so hard that I felt my blood clotting there. "She is in the room! With very important guests! And baba is there with her. Come to your fucking senses!"Aahil shrieked at me, the eyes at me.

"You should have not involved Aamira in all of these! Do you know why I am doing everything? What is all my effort for, if she is going to sink in the same mud I am?" I shouted back at him.

"I don't care. You are not going in there." He announced but I pushed him back while he was distracted. And stepped back.

"I won't let Aamira face all those atrocities!" I screamed out at him, turned around, and ran into the long red corridor with these yellow candle chandeliers on the ceilings of the Chandravani Haveli.

I came down to the left, with the huge wooden door, I pushed it off with all my power, too big for me to open without almost swaying away.

And inside was baba on the red royal couches kept in a square, facing each other, the best room of Chandravani. A guest, who is probably going to affect his political career, that is why he brought him into this room and wanted Aamira to entertain them.

Aamira and I are his hidden treasure, only taken out when someone worth spending it on comes forth.

There sat a man. Worth us.

Baba's eyes widen when he witnessed me at the door, yet he was not the one taking action. Who got so excited when I showed up was Rafan. He stepped up already to take me away from there. But I strode inside, Aamira standing there in the middle, dressed in just red ghagra-choli. Her eyes were on me, as shocked as anyone in the room, except that one man sitting unfazed.

Rafan reached me when I caught Aamira's hand and pushed her behind me, Rafan's anger is not to be played with, and nothing Aamira should ever face.

He walked up to me and caught my hair pulling it back. "Get out of here!" He asked me angrily, he rolled my butt-length black hair around his hand like a rope and started to drag me away but I caught his hand that I had my hair and sunk my nails in it, he felt hurt and distracted I threw his hands away.

"Aamira, leave!" I yelled loudly to her. She hinged a little, her little hick-ups caught up in her throat.

"I won't! Baba wants me to be here, Muqda! It's important for him." She said, as sweetly as ever, she was not made for this world, too kind, too nice, too gracious for this place. She will never understand what it is to be standing where she is right now. She doesn't know what prices she will have to pay, for being here.