Part 33

Third Person Pov

"Code teal, trauma bay one," the cardiothoracic surgeon saw on his pager. 

He quickly makes his way into the trauma bay to nurses and residents surrounding the stretcher in the middle of the room. 

"What do we have here?" he questioned approaching the group.

"Twenty three year old female with two gunshot wounds, one to the chest and one to the stomach . No exit wounds." One of the paramedics informed him while the surgeon was trying to make his way to the patient.

The doctor finally gets a good look at the lifeless body before him, seeing Lisa he stands still. 

"Lisa?"

"That's why it's a code teal Dr. Kim," one of the nurses said. 

Dr. Kim pushes his questions about his daughter aside to deal with the problem at hand. Lalisa Manoban was laying here on his table. 

"We got a call about a crazed gunman and when we arrived on scene she was asystole. A woman was doing chest compressions until we took over. She was unresponsive until we got to the van where then we got a pulse for a short time. She coded three more times in the transport." 

The paramedic tells the doctor. He trying so hard to only think about his patient but he can't help but think about Jennie, worried sick if she's okay. In that moment, all the noise and chaos of the emergency room just faded. Dr. Kim felt a sudden, powerful urge to touch the patient. He reached out and held onto Lisa's hand. Her pulse seemed to be growing weaker by the second. The moment the paramedics stepped out of the room the heart monitor displayed nothing but a flat line. 

"We've got a traumatic arrest here, people." Dr. Kim quickly enlisted the aid of his staff. 

"Ha-rin, get two units of blood running with more on the way. Ji-a, cut her clothing off, it's time to see what we've got going on inside. Du, set up a thoracotomy tray, then call the OR and tell them to assemble my team. We'll be coming up as soon as we have a pulse back."

Dr. Kim positioned himself at his patient's right side. Once Lisa's chest was bared, the doctor used a scalpel to make the incision. 

"Rib spreader."

Dr. Kim quickly maneuvered his fingers until they reached his ultimate goal, Lisa's heart.

"There's no blood in her heart. Run everything we got wide open. I need more volume and space, so I can see."

The team reacted, giving the doctor exactly what he asked for. After a few more cranks of the rib spreaders and a little help from the resident, Dr. Kim was able to view the organ.

"There's our problem," Dr. Kim declared noting the stream of blood coming out of Lisa's heart. 

Without a second thought, he used his pinky to plug up the hole. The blood started filling up Lisa's heart again, giving it a more normal appearance cradled in the doctor's hand.

"Beginning heart massage," Dr. Kim said as he squeezed and released trying to establish a rhythm. 

"Come on, dammit! We need more volume." His will was evident in the tone of his voice. 

"I'm not losing you."

"Do you know the patient Dr. Kim?" Ha-rin asked curiously.

"She works with my daughter," he said with worry in his voice. 

"The OR is ready when we are Doctor," Du alerted them. 

"Now all we need is ..." Dr. Kim held his breath when he saw the electric impulse flash across the heart monitor.