Vol 4: Chapter 19 - Endgame

Start from the beginning

"Force Himeno to retire."

His eyes widened slightly at my instructions.

"Are you joking...-? Oh..."

Seems like he understands the reason. That saves me time from having to explain it to him.

"Yeah, that's why. Have her fake a stomach ache or something. It doesn't matter how, but you need to do this immediately. Best option would be to tell the teachers something they couldn't test or confirm."

For example, a sprained ankle would show swelling, which might make the teachers disallow it out of suspicion that they're lying.

It's around 7:30 AM right now. The test ends at noon. So he has to make a move now, if he wants to save his class.

Based on Chie-sensei's personality, I'm sure she would gladly allow Himeno to retire, since she probably understands the reason why and wants her class to do well.

"It might be troublesome, but I'll find a way to do that. At this point, I don't care how it's done, as long as my class is saved."

Great mindset, Kanzaki. Just do what I tell you and your class will be victorious. For now.

"How'd the other classes manage to discover our leader's identity?"

"I can't really tell you much as of now since all I'm working on is assumptions and inferences due to lack of evidence. All I can say is you really shouldn't have allowed Kaneda to stay in your camp."

At that, I can see his fist tighten slightly and a frown formed on his face. Looks like Kanzaki didn't buy Kaneda's story to begin with.

"Bloody fucking hell... I warned her about this."

There's not a doubt in anyone's mind that the 'her' he was referring to was Honami. It was evident that Kanzaki was suspicious from the start, but Honami's fairy tail abilities had won out.

If their other classmates had a more aggressive mindset like Kanzaki, then Kaneda wouldn't have stayed, and I'm guessing the option to vote for leaders, which Kanzaki was clearly all for, would've been chosen.

Honami wanted to play the safe and friendly game. Kanzaki wanted the opposite. But due to the nature of their classmates, it wasn't meant for things to go his way.

"This is what you meant by protecting her, isn't it?"

"Yeah."

If their class dropped points in this exam, then the one most affected by it would be Honami, who had been leading them. They would then be thinking that if they had been following Kanzaki from the beginning, then this might not have happened.

That would then do some damage to Honami in return. Doubts about her leadership capabilities might arise. Hence, to save their class while also protecting Homani, Kanzaki would need to do some things behind her back. Reason being, if he told her about it now, she would feel responsible for their failure. And the more people know about this, then the likelihood of their classmates finding out about this would increase, which is something that would like to be avoided as much as possible.

"Lastly, write these names as Class B and D's leaders."

I showed him a small piece of paper that had two names written on it.

"It's what I'm going to write down as well."

"... I thought he retired along with the rest... How'd you even figure it out?"

"I'll leave that to your imagination."

Frankly, one of the names on it was a huge gamble, even on my part given what I found a few hours ago. But, I need to start my investigation somewhere. So, if it meant gambling some points to ascertain the level of trustworthiness, I'll gladly do it.