Vol 4: Chapter 8 - Warmth

1st August

First day, 10: 17 PM

From atop the branches, I moved towards the west side of the island. The east side was where my base was, so, I can handle it later. Not too long later, I arrived at the cliff. I went towards the ladder and climbed down to enter the hut. I checked the mechanism and saw that it was currently not being occupied by any class.

"Guess they haven't renewed the spot, yet."

Katsuragi is quite an observant person. He might have figured out by now the direction each class took and thought that no one would come, especially in the middle of the night like this, to claim this hut. Or, he figured that no one knew that there was a spot here. He must've thought it was fine to leave it alone at night and reclaim it in the morning.

"Unfortunately, it's not fine."

I swiped my keycard on it to claim the spot. I claimed the hut at 10:33 PM. Once that was done, I climbed the ladder back up the cliff. I leapt onto the tree branches and, relying on my memory, I continued into the forest. Eventually, I reached higher ground as I arrived at the tower I mentioned earlier.

Although it seemed possible to look out over the whole beach by going up the installed tower, the facility itself didn't seem that useful. It seemed like some spots were better than others. You need to be strategic about which spots you want to occupy, especially if you're planning on using it as your base camp.

The school might have made it so that a spot is easy to find, yet, there isn't much use, while a spot that is harder to find have more uses. I drew closer to confirm the equipment on the wall of the facility. Just like the hut, this place wasn't being occupied right now.

The facility itself was rather large, so even though the place was well in the backwoods, it would've been easy to find. The fact that no one was occupying the tower showed that holding it ran the risk of being observed by the enemy.

However, I already anticipated this and came prepared by wearing a mask and a jacket with a hood. That way, it'll be extremely difficult, probably even impossible to find out my identity even on the small, off chance I was spotted.

Even if they checked the device after I claimed the spot, they would find it difficult to figure out who in the class was the culprit as each class has 40 students. 38 in Ryueen's case.

Though, I won't let myself be caught claiming the spot despite wearing a disguise as I'm sure it would be pretty easy for another class to narrow down the suspects from my class.

That's why I am on guard and hyper aware of my surroundings right now. As soon as I feel someone's presence, I would depart immediately and hide myself.

I swiped my keycard on the device to claim the spot at 10:47 PM. I left the tower and made my way south-west. If my memory serves me right, there should be a waterfall behind the west mountain. Truth be told, I didn't really plan on going here, but I still had time before the timer on the spring and hilltop resets.

I retraced my steps back towards the cliff, where the hut was, as it'd be much easier to traverse through there instead of going around the mountain. Once I reached the cliff, I continued moving south from here.

I was searching for a waterfall, but I found another spring instead. I did say spring, but that was not quite accurate. It's probably the face of the waterfall. I said spring previously as it appeared similar to one.

Unlike the 'spring' near my base, this one was above flat ground, located somewhere on the mountain itself. And, it looks like my memory was right as the water from it flows downward to create that waterfall.