Vol 4: Chapter 6 - Base Camp

1st August

First Day, 1:20 PM

Things started to move when I returned to Hirata and the others. Well, not really returned since I only went back to where our class were waiting but didn't approach them or let them catch sight of me.

Ike's group seemed to be in surprisingly high spirits, and were speaking rather enthusiastically to Hirata about something.

"A river, a river! What an incredible feeling! It's right in front and there is some kind of mechanism installed around there! It could be a gadget to get right of possession, or whatever! It's only a ten-minute walk from here, so let's hurry!"

It seemed like Ike and his group had made some headway, and wanted to stand guard so another class wouldn't snatch the spot.

"This is huge. If we can secure the river, our situation might take a turn for the better."

It seemed they'd found a good spot for our base camp's location. Of course, it would depend on the terrain and environment, but this likely was going to be our first step forward.

"But there are two teams who still haven't returned. We should wait for them, right?"

If they hadn't returned by the appointed time, there was a good chance they were lost in the forest.

"We should wait for the others to return. However, Ayanokouji-kun has told me that if he doesn't return on time, we should go to the spot ahead of him with the rest of the class. He says he'll find us."

"Alright then. Let's wait for the other 2 groups."

Nice going, Horikita.

I didn't let them catch sight of me and sneakily went towards Sae-sensei who had spotted me as soon as I came back and moved behind a tree again.

"So, he's gone now."

" Yeah, I know. So, where's the leaders keycard?"

"Here."

Sae-sensei took out the same grey plastic card and handed it to me. I inspected the front and back to check if every class gets a different coloured card or not and to make sure the leaders name was correct on mine.

"Looks like the only difference on the cards are the names, I guess."

Once my check was complete, I kept the card in my right pocket.

"And my hammock?"

Sae-sensei handed me the hammock that she had gotten for me and I wrapped it around my waist. It's absolutely beautiful. I... think I'm in love.

"One more thing. Don't say anything about Koeunji during roll call. Just call me to the side and act like you're talking to me about it for basically every roll call. Make sure Horikita sees that."

"I honestly have no clue where you're going with this. But, ok."

"Thanks for your help, Sae-sensei."

"It's no problem. Um... Kiyotaka."

I was about to turn and leave when she called out to me.