Vol 2: Chapter 5 - The Witness

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka POV

June 4, Tuesday

After school

As the school bell rang, Hirata and Kei formed groups with other members of the class in search of witnesses. Hirata had informed Kei about the search, and Kei and her group agreed without much fuss.

I already told them that it was going to be useless, but they seemed determined to prevent us from losing the points we worked so hard for.

By now, majority of the students had already left. Ken had also left as well, as we've already told him not to try anything as it may jeopardise the case. I haven't yet told him about Airi being the witness as I didn't have time yet. I can tell him later or just not tell him at all.

Kushida stood up from her seat and walked over to Airi, who just stood up to leave the classroom with her bag over her shoulder. I stood up as well and walked in her direction. She was holding onto her camera as usual.

Since the formation of the study groups, I noticed that she always seems to be carrying her camera with her. During one of the study sessions, I decided to ask her about it. Apparently, she really likes taking photos. I didn't pry any further than that as I was not particularly interested.

Maybe, she had managed to snap a photo of the incident. If she can at least prove that she was there, having a witness in our class wouldn't actually backfire on us as we now have credibility. But I'm not too optimistic right now.

Kushida walked over and tapped Airi's shoulder from behind.

Airi: Wah!

Thud!

Airi, feeling startled by the sudden tap on the shoulder, yelped and jumped slightly. Her sudden reaction caused her to drop her camera.

Kushida: Ah, I'm so sorry Sakura-san!

Airi, flustered, rushed to pick up her camera.

Airi: No way. There's nothing on the screen...

Airi put her hand over her mouth in total shock. The camera seemed to have broken on impact. She pushed the power button over and over, tried taking out the batteries and putting them back in, but the power indicator never came on.

Kushida: I-I'm sorry. It's because I came up and talked to you so suddenly, that...

Airi: No, that's not it. I was just careless, that's all... Ah, Kiyotaka-kun, I didn't notice you there.

Well, that's good. Even when I'm not trying, I can still conceal my presence with ease.

Kiyotaka: Hello Airi. We have something we would like to talk to you about. Do you have some time?

Airi: Actually, there's something I needed to talk to you about as well...Can we talk in the corridor?

Kiyotaka: Yeah, sure.

We walked towards the corridor. Once we made sure no one was eavesdropping, Airi was about to start speaking, but suddenly, Kushida froze while glancing over at Airi's profile.

Airi: Umm.. so-

Kushida: Sakura-san, have we met somewhere before?

Kushida interrupted Airi before she could even start.

Airi: Huh? N-no. I don't think so, but...

Kushida: Sorry. It's just that when I look at you, I get this feeling that we've met before, Sakura-san. Hey, weird question, but could you try removing your glasses?