Vol 4: Chapter 1 - Boundary between heaven, hell, and fun

"Kiyotaka-kun, you really should get off the ships railings. It's really dangerous. You could fall into the ocean." Itsuki said as she and the quints walked towards me.

"I won't fall. Even if I do, I'll just get back up."

"Sigh... Suit yourself."

"Woah! This view is so breathtaking! The breeze is so cooling!" Yotsuba exclaimed in excitement.

"Seriously, the scenery here is just amazing!" Ichika yelled out happily.

After overcoming numerous hardships, midterms, and the final exam, we had welcomed summer vacation with open arms. The Advanced Nurturing High School had arranged for an extravagant two-week trip-a cruise on a luxury liner.

"I seriously can't believe that high schoolers like us get to go on this trip! And for two weeks, no less! Two weeks!" Kikyou exclaimed in delight, clearly happy about this break.

"This is so amazing! Getting to go on this trip, we're so lucky! Right, Kiyo!?" Nino said.

"Sure."

"Sure? What does that mean? Do you not like this, Kiyotaka-kun?" Ichika said.

"Don't know. I just have a couple things that I'm thinking about."

At our government-sponsored school, there was absolutely no need for us to pay for tuition or other miscellaneous expenses-which, of course, included this trip. We received the best of special treatment. The cruise liner and its facilities were of the highest possible quality. This ship was fully equipped with everything from prestigious restaurants to a theater, and even an upscale spa.

On my own, this would probably have cost me about 100,000 yen, even in the off season. Our trip, which promised the pinnacle of luxury, had finally started today.

At 5 AM today, the first-year students had boarded buses and departed for Tokyo Bay. The passenger ships departed from the port once the students arrived. After eating breakfast in the lounge, students were permitted to move freely throughout the entire vessel. Best of all, we were able to use any of the ship's facilities free of charge. For those of us who'd suffered daily due to a lack of points, this ship was heaven-sent.

"What are you thinking about, Kiyotaka-kun?" Itsuki asked with concern.

"Don't worry about it."

I came to this trip with one particular goal in mind, to find and get a hold of a certain 'something'. Once, or if, I get that something, I can slowly build up from there and expand.

"Since it's you, I can't help but be worried." Itsuki said.

"Don't worry about me. I can handle myself."

"Speaking of, where is Horikita-san?" Kikyou asked.

"I don't know. I'm not her keeper or boyfriend or something."

"Of course you aren't! Ayanokouji-kun dating Horikita-san... I don't even want to imagine..." Satou shook her head and shivered slightly at that thought.

Who knows what other things she's even thinking about this.

"Maybe she doesn't like traveling and is in her room?"

"Maybe."

"I still don't like the room arrangements!" Kei puffed out her cheeks in annoyance with her fists clenched.

Flashback

"Karuizawa, for the last time. It doesn't work that way. Dressing like a guy doesn't mean I can let you share a room with Ayanokouji." Sae-sensei spoke, clearly dragging her words and fed-up with this.