Vol 4: Chapter 11 - Jealousy

3rd August

3rd Day, 6:40 PM

The third day was pretty much the same as the other days. People were doing some little chores here and there to keep our base camp stable and running fluidly. I re-claimed our rights of possession for the day to the Rock Tunnel (12:42 AM, 9:32 AM, 5:35 PM), Hilltop (1:21 AM, 10:11 AM, 6:13 PM), Spring (1:30 AM, 10:20 AM, 6:22 PM), and River (1:40 AM, 10:30 AM, 6:32 PM).

Ibuki's been getting comfortable with our class and the rules we assigned to her. Kei took the liberty of drawing a line on the floor, using a stick, of where she should not cross as it would bring her too close to the mechanism.

The position of the line was slightly cruel as she was not allowed to go beyond the toilet and shower, which I had placed in a spot where the trees would block the mechanism. The nearest she was allowed to get to the mechanism was the tent she had been assigned, which was the last one.

"Here you go again, Horikita." I handed her Koeunji's keycard again. It's become a normal practice between us. "Kouenji's gonna call for me again at 1:30 AM, so be prepared. I should be back before 3 AM, at least."

"Ayanokouji-kun... I know it's not in my position to say, since I've not done anything noteworthy in this test, but... are you just going to let Koeunji-kun use you like this?"

It's natural for her to think that, considering I'm not someone you could just walk over.

"Hmm... I'm honestly not worried. I know Kouenji's always taking a step back in everything, but this time, he seems to be in the mood to get in on some of the action, so I'm fine with it since he's helping the class a lot. You need not worry yourself about Kouenji."

"I know... I trust you, but tell me, is your plan really going to work this way?"

"Sure it will. And you, Horikita Suzune, are the most vital piece in this."

This unexpected declaration I had made seemed to have shocked her.

"M-Me...?" She pointed at herself in confusion, stumbling over her words a little. "But, I have not really done anything... In fact, I've only just fully recovered today."

Natural to assume that, and I don't blame her.

"Do you really believe so? You're in charge of watching out for Ibuki, which may prove to be a problem. With that alone you're relieving a huge burden off my shoulder, allowing me to do what needs to be done. Without you watching for Ibuki, do you think I will have a peace of mind? Will the class be as carefree and relaxed knowing that a potential spy is in their midst unguarded?"

"Well... I suppose so..."

"On top of that, you're also in charge of guarding, unquestionably the most important item in this whole test, the keycard."

I said that sentence with an increase in volume to make things slightly more dramatic. Hopefully, she is happy about my carefree attitude.

"If you aren't guarding that, my plan can't even start. If anyone else... let's say, Kei, was the one guarding it, don't you think she would freak out and make a big deal out of this, alerting our classmates about the troublesome person that is our leader? Will we be able to maintain the peace and easy going atmosphere that we have now?"

"You may be right about that, but what about Hirata-kun? Or, Itsuki-san? Why didn't you ask them to guard the keycard?"

"Hirata is not as alert or guarded as you. Same goes for Itsuki. Besides, they have way too much responsibility in taking care of the class. If they're gone and I'm gone, things could get a little dicey."