Vol 1: Chapter 14 - An Undertaking

Ayanokouji POV

Kiyotaka: He's gone now Horikita. You can let go of me now.

Horikita had been clinging onto my back for 5 mins after Manabu had already left.

The stress built up is definitely taking a toll on her. She's been slightly trembling for a while, but she has calmed down slightly now.

Horikita: A-ayanakouji-kun...

Kiyotaka: What is it?

Horikita: Why do you think my brother hasn't acknowledged me?

Kiyotaka: Why do you think I would know that?

I played dumb. Just telling Horikita the reason straight up won't change much or anything at all. She has to figure it out on her own.

Horikita: You definitely know don't you? I mean you're someone that even my brother admitted he couldn't compete against.

Kiyotaka: So? What does that have anything to do with me knowing the reason your brother won't acknowledge you?

Horikita: At least tell me that you know. Even if you won't tell me the reason, I want to know if you know.

Kiyotaka: Ya, I know why. But I'm not telling you the reason. Figure it out yourself.

I forcefully removed Horikita's grip. I took her hand and pulled her to a nearby bench beside the vending machine.

Kiyotaka: Wait here, I'll buy you a drink.

I bought an orange soda and handed it to her. She opened the can and drank it rather quickly.

She got up and threw the drink in the trash after she has finished it. She then sat back down beside me.

Kiyotaka: Calmed down yet?

Horikita: A little...

Something has been bugging me for a while now. I'm putting the topic of her brother away for now.

Kiyotaka: Horikita, I want you to tell me something.

Horikita: What is it?

Kiyotaka: What's your relationship with Kushida?

As I asked her that question, she flinched slightly. Anybody else would have missed it.

Horikita: What do you mean? Why do you think I have a relationship with Kushida-san? I've always declined her invitation to be friends and constantly rejected her invitations to hang out.

She can deny it all she wants, but her actions speak louder than words.

Kiyotaka: I've always had a wierd feeling about Kushida. My instincts are telling me that this girl is not as she seems.

Horikita: I certainly can't deny your instincts. But what does that have to do with my relationship with her?

Kiyotaka: You don't seem to get along with her. Even though you don't get along with almost everyone due to your cold personality, there's something different about the way you don't get along with her.

Horikita: Couldn't it just be because I have no interest in making friends? I've always said that I don't care for making friends, so her overly friendly attitude and constant pestering in asking for my friendship made me annoyed at her.

Kiyotaka: You can try and lie to me, but it won't work. During Kushida's introduction, you flinched slightly when she mentioned that 'none of her middle school friends came to this school'. You didn't react or pay attention to anyone else's introduction but you reacted during Kushida's. That tells me that you at least know Kushida. I'm guessing that you guys went to the same middle school. Didn't you?