Friends

About a week and a half later, Maverick was discharged. He was still beat up, so he needed assistance getting around so, Ice decided to help him .

Ice knocked on Mavericks door. "Come in." Maverick said as a nurse helped him into a wheelchair.

Ice came in. He waved a bit as the nurse started to explain to him what Maverick needed. Ice listened intently.

Maverick grabbed his bag and placed it on the handles. "All of his medications are in the bag, and he is extremely ready to go back to his quarters." She chuckled.

Ice sighed and walked over to Maverick. "It'll benefit you to be patient." Ice said. Maverick just rolled his eyes.

Ice said his thanks to the nurse, and then wheeled Maverick out. Maverick stayed relatively quiet as Ice pushed him through the halls down to his barracks.

Ice noticed the odd silence and just didn't bother him. He got down to mavericks room and asked for his key. Maverick handed it to him.

Ice paused and looked at him. "You okay?" Maverick met ices gaze and simply didn't answer. Ice sighed and opened mavericks room and pushed him in carefully.

Ice closed the door and sighed. "I'll make you some food okay?" He started to walk to the kitchen when...

"I'm sorry..."

Ice stopped and turned towards Maverick. Maverick looked around as if trying to escape but he covered his face and sighed.

"I wish I could trade places everyday... I'm sorry he died, I'm sorry Anne got kidnapped, I'm sorry your family is missing a person..." Maverick said.

Ice just looked at Maverick. He then thought back to a conversation he had with his daughter recently.

"Remember Papa, he's hurting just like you and me, except he blames himself... be someone he can be friends with." Anne said as Ice got ready for work.

Ice sighed and looked at her as she sat on the sink ledge looking at him.

"You're not mad at him are you..." he asked her.

"Not anymore. I mean... he saved me. And he almost died to keep me safe." She said as she brushed her dolls hair.

Ice looked at her and then the sink. Sliders dog tags dangled from his neck. "I guess... dad wouldn't want me being mad at Maverick, hm?" Ice said as he looked at her.

"Nope... he wouldn't want either one of us mad." She said as she looked at him. Ice sighed and chuckled.

"You're right..."

Ice walked over to Maverick and knelt down besides him and held his hand. Maverick squeezed it.

"We... we are both in mourning. You lost a good friend, I lost my husband..." ice said. He teared up and moved mavericks hand from his face.

"I was... I was mad at you in the beginning, but now I've forgiven you, cause you're my best friend and slider wouldn't have wanted this." Ice said as he looked at him.

Maverick looked back at him. "I will be better now... and just like you have been protecting my family, I'm gonna protect you." Ice said.

One tear went down mavericks face. He just leaned his head against Ices shoulder. Ice wrapped his arms around him.

"I got you Pete..."

"And I got you, Tom."

Rooster went out to lunch with Phoenix. Hangman had even getting really busy with missions so he thought it was best not to bother him.

She walked next to him and glanced at him. "Anything new happening?" She asked.

She knew about Hangman liking Rooster, but she was curious about what Rooster had to say as well.

"No. Not much... I've been on medical leave for a bit. Things have been a bit boring cause hangman has been on a lot of solo missions for the past week... I think almost everyday?" He said as they walked into their restaurant.

Phoenix knew hangman well enough to the point she knew if he was genuinely working, or avoiding something by working. She sat down and looked at the menu.

"Anything new between the two of you?" She asked. Rooster glanced at her.

"Am I being interrogated?" He said as he lowered his menu. She lowered hers and looked at him.

"You tell me." She said.

Rooster knew what this was about. He looked out the windows and sighed. "I'm assuming you know he likes me?"

She nodded. Rooster chuckled and sighed. He knew hangman confided in Phoenix and Coyote.

"There's nothing going on. We both have our moments, and we accepted that we're not going to talk about it." Rooster said.

Phoenix sat back. "And by moments, you mean the kissing, acting like a couple etc.?" She said as she crossed her arms.

"Damn... remind me not to tell him anything. It'll just get right to you." Rooster said.

"He isn't telling me cause he's gossiping, he's telling me cause he's stressed." She said. Rooster looked at her. He could tell she was telling the truth.

"He..." she sighed. "... he hasn't been lucky with love okay? We've been friends since we started this program. He's... lonely in a way, but he's always had an eye on someone." She said as she looked at him.

Rooster shook his head. "It won't end well..." rooster said as he sipped his coffee.

"And what makes you think it'll end bad?" Phoenix said. She as slightly frustrated.

"Cause at some point, one of us is going to die on a mission leaving the other one heartbroken and alone". Rooster said slightly louder than he should've.

He gripped his coffee.

"I don't want to hurt him. Do you really think I forget about the times we've kissed? Or shared little moments? They're all I think about..." rooster sighed and looked down at his coffee.

"I don't want to be happy with him, and then break his heart with a message saying I'm permanently gone..." rooster said.

Phoenix understood that.

That was what was stopping her with Bob. "You're right..."

"I know..." he said as he looked out the window.

"Plus... there's so much drama right now, I don't see it being a good idea to be together."