First Trust

Maverick helped Ice to the ambulance as his team walked out of the burning building.

Coyote crossed his arms and raised a brow. "Maverick really sticks close next to the director." He said curiously.

"That's true." Hangman said as he looked at the group. "Are we sensing history between them?" He said with a raised brow.

Everyone just looked at him and then back at their leader. Hangman rolled his eyes.

Rooster watched Maverick and Ice. He sighed and then walked over. The group watched him curiously.

Rooster walked over to the ambulance. "You alright guys?" He asked worryingly. Maverick looked at Rooster slightly surprised. Ice looked at rooster and smiled softly. "Yeah, I'm alright. Since I got electrocuted I can't feel my left arm or leg." He said with a tired chuckle.

Rooster nodded. He glanced at Maverick but didn't say a word to him. He just walked back over to the group. Maverick watched him walk away but then looked back at Ice.

"Do you need anything?" Maverick asked him. Ice knew Maverick wasn't doing well, and didn't want to ask too much of him. "If you can find Slider and my daughter that would be amazing." Ice said.

Maverick nodded and turned to find them but saw them running over to the ambulance. "Ice!" Slider said as he jumped into the ambulance and rushed to his side. Ices face relaxed and showed his true colors.

"Hey..."

"Are you okay?! What happened?" Slider continued to ask questions as Ices daughter crawled into his lap tearing up. Ice held her hand and continued to reassure Slider he was okay.

Maverick watched slightly. His heart hurt ever seeing them. He was happy they were a family, but he was disappointed he couldn't have that at all.

He simply walked away leaving Ice with his family, and headed over to his team.

The group watched Maverick walk over. "Thank you all for being able to help. We got reports the man who was the assassin wasn't the main guy who wants to kill the Director. He was mainly a front man." He said as he took off his jacket.

"All of you did well tonight... but I have some issues with how it was done. It was sloppy, everywhere and a mess, but it got it done." He rubbed his head and sighed. "You're all dismissed."

The group went their separate ways. Phoenix walked over to Maverick and tapped his arm. He stopped and looked at her.

"Sir, your back is bleeding." She said calmly. He didn't notice. "Oh... thank you." As he realized he was injured, he realized his head hurt alot, and his bruises hurt more than they were before this mission...

Phoenix turned to leave when...

"Phoenix..." he said tiredly. His head started to spin.

She looked at him. "Yes sir?"

"May you help me please..." he said with exhaustion riddling his voice. She recognized it and nodded. She walked him to his car. He wasn't doing well at all.

She helped him into the passenger seat, got into the drivers seat and headed back to base. He was almost passed out.

"You're a good shot... Phoenix." He said as he looked out the window.

"Thank you sir. I was just using what the academy taught me." She said as she pulled into the highway.

"Good answer." He said as he passed out.

He woke up a bit later as Phoenix checked into the headquarters parking. She got out and opened mavericks door. "Come on sir." She said as she wrapped an arm around him and helped him to his room.

He used his keycard and unlocked it. She brought him in and sat him down on his couch. She immediately went searching for a medkit.

Maverick just felt like crying. "Ever been told you're suicidal?" He said as she looked around. Phoenix stopped as she found one. She grabbed it and walked out.

"I'm afraid not sir... have you?" She said as she lifted up his shirt and stared to clean the wound on his back.

"Yeah..." he said as his words were slightly slurred. She listened and figured the enemy shot him with some sort of drug.

"How come?" She asked gently.

"Cause I want to die... I don't want to be here anymore. But now I have a team to teach." He said with annoyance in his voice.

She simply listened as she wrapped him with a bandage. "Why do you want to die?" She asked.

"Cause... I'm an awful human being who can't keep their partner alive. That cost me my fiancé... my future family... and a boys family. Nothing is going right." He said as she checked him for a fever.

"He's a little warm." She thought to herself. She felt bad for all the stuff he had to deal with. He looked down and sighed. "And now I'm all alone. I have no one to be here for me, no one would mourn my death if I died right now, I don't have anything out anyone to depend on..." he said as she got some medicine.

"Sir... how about you depend on me? I can be your friend." She said reassuringly. He looked at her.

"I don't believe you. I don't even know your name, Agent..." he said as he started to realize he was at home.

She looked at the medicine and then back at him. "My name is Natasha. I want you to know I trust you and your judgment completely. You are my commander for however long this teams last, and now, if you need to talk to someone, I'm your friend." She said.

Maverick looked at her surprised. He had someone to talk to. He looked a bit confused as he stood up.

"I'm Pete..." he said as he glanced back at her. "Do you mean everything about trusting me as your group leader?"

She looked at him and nodded. "Yes sir... even more now that you've told me your name." She walked over and helped walk him to his room.

"Now, rest sir. I'll see you tomorrow."