Mother

Maverick stayed by Ices side for a few hours until Ice fell asleep. Maverick was angry with who was trying to kill him...

He couldn't understand why. He got up and looked over at Slider. "Was there any indication why they were trying to kill him..."

"Something about a flash drive. And maybe a project Ice is working on. Cause you guys only got the flash drive the other day, so, it has to be tied to something he is working on." Slider said. Maverick nodded in agreement.

"Thank you..." Maverick handed Slider back Ices badge. "Since Ice is incapacitated right now... you're the acting Director of the agency... I need your permission for something."

Slider sat up a bit better. "What do you need?"

"I need permission to go on the mission that the president assigned me and my team to. I already have all the information." He said.

Slider glanced over at Ice and then back at Maverick. "You don't have permission yet. I need you to recover before you go on missions that can potentially kill you." Slider said.

Maverick frowned slightly. "Ice has been teaching you for sure."

"That he has. But, I will approve you preparing for the mission, just not actually going on the mission." Slider said. Maverick chuckled and sighed.

"May I ask why you aren't approving my request?" Maverick asked.

"Because I want to go with you..." slider said as he slowly pulled his legs over the side of the bed. He winced and slowly stretched his leg.

"Go with us?" Maverick said.

"The son of a bitch shot my husband,
Pete... and hurt my daughter. I won't hide in an office and let you do all the work." Slider held his head as the memory of Ice looking at him right before he got shot.

He teared up and gripped his hair. "I... I can't watch that happen to him again." Maverick sat next to him and wrapped an arm around him.

"Ron... I know it was hard. But right now focus on the fact he's alive. I'll wait for you to be healed to go on the mission. I promise." Maverick said.

Ron lowered his hands and nodded. "Thank you..."

Maverick walked out of the room and closed the door. He sighed as he turned. He saw his team sitting by the room. All were asleep except for Rooster.

Rooster looked at Maverick. "You alright Pete..." rooster said. Maverick was a bit surprised the kid remembered his name. He nodded.

"Yeah... I'm alright kid. It's just hard watching two people you care about have an assassination attempt against them." He said as he shoved his hands into his pockets.

The two stood in silence.

"How's your mother doing now..." Maverick said. Rooster looked at his phone. "I actually went to go see her... she's up the hall. Her cancer is coming back worse than the first time. She's not expected to make it this time though." Rooster said looking down.

Maverick looked at Rooster and then looked down. "I'm sorry kid..." he sighed. He looked up.

"May I go say hi to her?" He asked.

"Yeah... I won't be going with you. I need to process her whole situation." Maverick nodded and walked down the hallway and knocked on her door before entering.

He walked in carefully and saw Carol looking at him. Her eyes widened. "Petey..." she said with tears starting to well in her eyes.

Maverick smiled sadly and walked over to her bedside. She extended her arms wanting a hug. She hugged him tightly as he wrapped his arms around her.

"Oh my gosh, I haven't seen you in so long..." she said as she pulled from the hug. She rubbed his cheek with her thumb. "Life isn't being kind to you huh..." she said with a soft gaze.

He held her hand and nodded in agreement. "No... no it hasn't." He said as he sat by her bed holding her hand.

"Doesn't look like it's being too kind to you either." He said as he saw her hearing a beanie, and how thin she looked due to the chemo.

"Nah... it hasn't. But I'm expecting this battle to end soon. Finally Bradley won't have to worry about me anymore..." she said tiredly.

"We want you to beat that battle lovely." Maverick said trying to encourage her. She chuckled softly and nodded.

"I'll try..." she then looked at him. "So... why are you here at this hospital?"

He knew she'll find out eventually. "Ice and sliders were both involved in an assassination attempt, which resulted in Ice getting shot." He said.

She sighed and looked at the ceiling. "I know they'll be alright... it must be hard. Any idea who?"

"Nope... but slider is determined in thinking it in reference to my future mission, and this flash drive that my team retrieved the other day." He was trying to piece it all himself.

"Interesting." She said as a nurse walked in. "Ma'am, time for your medication." Carol sat up slowly.

"Alright... well don't forget about me Petey... come visit me again, okay?" Maverick got up and nodded.

He kissed her hand gently. "I will you beautiful lady." She chuckled and waved him off teasingly. He smiled and walked out back down the hall.

The team was all awake and chatting. Maverick walked over. "What are you all up to?"

"We're all gonna head over to that restaurant we all went to, and just have some fun again. Want to come with?" Hangman asked him.

Maverick nodded with a smile. The group cheered, but immediately got shushed by a nurse going into Ice and Sliders room.

The group went down the hall with Maverick in tow. He grabbed his phone and called for two agents to guard ice and Sliders room.

He took a deep breath and decided to relax just a little bit.

He needed a break. Ice will be fine, and so will slide.

It's gonna be okay.(?)