Funeral

All the agents got ready for the funeral the next day. Maverick almost didn't go, but he got dragged along either way .

All the agents on that mission felt the most guilt. Maverick being the one who had the most guilt hovering him.

But, thankfully, this time around he had people to be around him to help him get past this guilt.

Maverick walked into the funeral venue with his team. He felt a suffocating feeling come over him as he saw the coffin.

He lowered his head. Rooster looked at Maverick and helped him over to his seat. Maverick sat down and felt as if everyone was staring at him.

He was the reason that man was in that coffin.

He would never deny it. He was being an idiot and it costed a life.

He was about to completely just leave until he saw Ice standing by himself looking at the coffin. The expression on Ices face broke his heart.

Maverick never wanted this to happen. Now, he's not even sure where he and Ice stand. He was going to get up but he met Ices gaze.

Ices eyes were filled with anger, pain, and grief. Maverick looked down and clenched his fists.

He needed this to finish and be done.

A pastor started to talk when everyone took their seats. Ice sat up front with his daughter on his lap.

He stared at the coffin blankly. He snapped out of it when his daughter fixed his tie. He looked at her.

She looked at him. "Y-your tie was crooked..." she said. Ice smiled sadly and kissed her head. "Thank you."

After the pastor finished his remarks Ice stepped up and just stood in front of the packed room of people who wanted to pay their respects.

"Thank you... for coming." He smiled sadly and just put his hand together and looked at the ground slightly.

Tears were threatening to fall. Anne noticed and walked over to him and hugged his leg. He rubbed her head and looked up.

"Ron was a light... specifically one in my life. Now, I don't..." he chuckled slightly as the tears fell.

"...I don't know what to do..." he looked at the coffin and placed a hand on it. "I'm so sorry..." he started to crumble.

He covered his face and cried. Anne grabbed her fathers hand and tried her hardest not to cry. She wanted to be strong for her father...

She wanted to be his hero this time.

Ice looked at everyone. "I'm sorry..." he walked off the stage with Anne and went to a room in the back.

Everyone placed flowers in front of the coffin and left. Everyone left that gloomy funeral hall  except Mav.

He stood in front of the coffin and stared at it. He pulled a picture of their team from their younger years and placed it on the coffin.

"I'm sorry Ron..." he said sadly. He sighed and looked at the coffin. "I'll... try to accomplish your request..." he said to himself.

He was about to leave when he saw Ice walk into the room with Anne. Ice motioned for Anne to go in the lobby. She looked at her father, then Maverick and left.

Ice looked at Maverick and then at the flowers. "It's strange seeing such a lively man be reduced to nothing..." Ice said. He stepped over and simply looked at the coffin.

"Now... he will be in the ground forever." Ice said.

"I'm sorry T-"

"Stop saying you're sorry!!" Ice yelled. His hands were shaking slightly.

"Continuously saying you're sorry isn't going to bring my husband back!" He said as he looked Maverick. Maverick stayed silent.

"What do you want me to say..." Maverick asked as he took a step towards Ice.

"Tom... I want to help." Maverick looked at him but was suddenly grabbed by his collar. He didn't react. He just let Ice do so.

Maverick simply wrapped his arms around Ice tightly and teared up as ice let go of his collar. Ice simply covered his face and cried in pain.

"I... I wish I could switch places with him... everyday, everyday, all day... but I can't do that..." Maverick said as he kept him close.

"... so saying sorry is all I can do..."

Ice pulled from the hug and wiped his eyes and took a deep breath. "I understand..." he sighed and looked at him.

"But it doesn't change the fact that when I see you, I feel angry with you." Ice said painfully.

Maverick nodded and looked at the coffin. "Don't worry... it's the same things for me..." he said quietly.  He turned and started to leave.

"See you..." he walked down the walkway and started to leave through the lobby.

Anne looked at Maverick. "Did my dad forgive you?" She asked. Maverick stopped and looked at her.

"No... but, that's okay." Maverick said. Anne looked at him and nodded.

"Was he a hero that day..." she asked. Maverick nodded. Her father was always a hero.

"Good..." she wiped her eyes and nodded. She felt tears well up.

"Oh how I miss my dad..."

Maverick made it back to his car and sat there. He just leaned his head against the steering wheel and yelled in anger.

"Damn it!" He clenched the wheel and teared up.

He just wanted things to go back to normal.

He just missed it when him and Ice would actually talk and make fun of each other.

He missed the banter he would have with Slider, and see who can annoy Ice the fastest.

He just wished he didn't make that one mistake ...

He was sorry. He wished sorry would fix the entire situation, but sadly he feared it was making things worse.

He sat back and sighed softly.

"I can't do anything right... hm." He simply turned the car on, back out, and headed back to the headquarters dormitory.

He was just so done with all of this.

Is any of this worth it... anymore?