Polar Opposites

Ice sat in his office staring out the window blankly. He didn't say anything to anyone.

He was waiting for his mother in law to bring his daughter to the agency.

He had tear stains on his face. He looked as if he had no life in him. Everyone who had to bring information to him said that the room felt like it had a chill.

No one wanted to speak to him.

Maverick made his way down to the room and knocked on the door. He didn't expect an answer...

He walked into the room and saw Ice sitting at his desk with his tie loosened, his jacket on the chair. He was holding his head with a glass of whiskey in the other.

"Tom..."

Ice looked up at him. He was greeted by the same glare from when they first met.

"Do you need anything?" Maverick said as he looked at him.

Ice placed his drink on the table and stood up. "My husband..." Ice said as he looked at him. He walked over to the window and stood in front of it.

"I... I honestly thought he would come back with you. He assured me.... All night... that's all he would do until I fell asleep." He said as he turned and looked at Maverick.

"Why didn't you tell me he was shot... I could've had a whole unit sent there to save him and the team..." he said with pain and confusion.

Maverick looked at him. "I..."

"I didn't want you to stress, and sent reinforcements." Maverick said. Ice chuckled and shook his head.

"Oh I know that is not the damn reason..." Ice said sharply. That rumored chill that scared any man filled the room. Maverick knew the actual reason.

"Tell me..." Ice said. Maverick shook his head and started to leave.

"You thought you'd be able to save him yourself hm? Unlike... Goose?" Ice said as he walked over to his desk and took his drink into his hand.

He sipped some of it. Maverick turned and looked at Ice. "I'm sorry..."

"It's easy to say huh?" Ice said as he held his glass. He sat down in his chair and leaned back. "Sorry..." ice said as he held his head.

Maverick looked at him.

"What we're his last words?" Ice asked. His voice broke slightly as he asked. Maverick held his tears back.

"Um.. he said 'I should've listened to him...'" Maverick said. Ice chuckled and sighed softly.

"He should've..." as he said that Anne came in with her grandmother. Ice looked at the both of them. Maverick dismissed himself and stepped out.

Anne smiled and ran over to Ice. "Papa! Hi!!" She said. He smiled sadly and kissed her head.

"Hey sweetheart..." he said as he pulled her onto his lap. She looked at him, and sensed something was wrong.

"Papa?" She asked.

"Dad is gone..." he said with all the might he could without crying. She looked at him confused.

"He's on a mission right?" She asked. Ice shook his head and rubbed her cheek as he saw tears welling in her big hazel eyes.

"Remember how... your grandpa went to heaven?" He said as he wiped his eyes. She nodded her head as she started to realize.

"Well... Dad went to heaven." Ice said as he held back his tears. Anne shook her head.

"No ....no! He has to come back... I don't want him to go to heaven yet!" She said now sobbing. Sliders mother stood there and wiped her tears.

Anne hid her head on her fathers shoulder and cried in pain. Ice just held her close and rubbed her back.

"I'm so sorry sweetie..."

Maverick made it back to his room and leaned against the door. He had the horrible memories coming back to haunt him.

He felt as if everything was caving in on him. He was sorry.

Slider was a friend he cared for dearly, and he just didn't think Slider was going to take a shot. He just was counting on himself getting shot while Slider shot the Leader.

He felt a darkness creeping up on him, a darkness that engulfed his mind and heart. It got worse but then there was suddenly a knock at his door. He cleaned himself off and took deep breaths before opening the door.

He opened the door and saw his team there. He looked a bit confused. "We're here to uh..." hangman looked at Phoenix confused. Phoenix rolled her eyes at how dumb Hangman was sometimes.

"We're here to help you out. We know you're injured, and we know you're mourning so we're here to give you company and to give you some medical attention." Phoenix said as Bob showed a med kit, rooster showed some movies, and Coyote showed food and drinks.

Maverick looked at the group and teared up. He covered his face and chuckled sadly. "Thank you guys... come on in." The whole team went in and started to just be happy.

Maverick felt that darkness slowly disappear from his mind. It was better than usual. He was sat down and was starting to get treated by Phoenix.

"Alright, shirt off Mav." She said as she put gloves on and opened her first aid.

Maverick simply let her and watched Rooster get a movie playing, listened to Coyote and Fanboy sing in the kitchen while they made food, and fanboy helped Phoenix out.

Bob was arguing with Rooster which movie to play.

For the first time in a long time, Maverick felt a bit More together than he usually does. The last time he lost someone, he let it devour him, but this time his team was there for him.

He wasn't pushing them away.

He was still sad, but he was now healing the correct way.

He had people who cared about him, all around him. He flinched slightly as Phoenix poured some ointment onto his back.

He never had people take care of him.

He smiled softly but then thought back to Ice.
He thought only one thought.

I hope he's okay....

Ice stayed in his office all night.

He fell asleep in there, hoping he would wake up from this nightmare he knew was reality.