64 • The Third Future #2

Blonde has never been her color.

Was it even a color?

Regardless of whether it was a color or not, the mere thought of wearing it already made her feel like a fraud that she couldn't possibly actually wear it. Yet, opinions changed. Or rather, her view of the color blonde changed. It turned from a color she associated with greatness to a reminder of her failure, a color she was forced to have against her will.

"Blonde doesn't suit you."

Cocking an eyebrow, she aimed the gun at his head. "Will that be your last word, Kei?" The nickname that used to be said so fondly now turned cold, and Baji couldn't help but feel tears well up in his eyes.

"Mikey's death isn't your fault and I'm sorry for blaming you," he told her as he knelt with his head hung, eyes on the floor, and ready to accept his fate. "My life is in your hands, Rei. It has always been." He could feel the cold muzzle against his head. "Do what you want with it, but just...just let me thank you for hearing our request and for everything else you've done for us."

With a bang, the first to go was Baji, and the next head the gun was pointed to was Chifuyu's. "Any last words, Fuyu?"

Chifuyu knew this would happen. He knew they would die. If anything, he guessed he should be grateful Reina was killing them first and on the same day so they wouldn't have to go through the pain of holding a funeral for their friends while wondering when it would be their turn, but goddammit did Chifuyu whimper when he saw Baji's corpse.

"Rei, please," Kazutora begged, holding back his own tears as he bowed down to Reina. "I'll...you can kill me first. Please...please don't...please give him more time."

"Then, say your words."

"The reason why we ask you to spare Takemitchy until twelve years have passed since the Kanto Carnage is because he can leap through time." Even if his head was pressed against the floor, Kazutora could hear her sharp intake of breath. "I know it all sounds like a bunch of bullshit, but please—"

Reina didn't wait any longer, shooting Kazutora's head. Her hand didn't tremble even when she felt shaken. Instead, she glared down at Chifuyu, who was also kneeling near her feet. "I'll give you ten seconds."

"Hanagaki Takemichi will come looking for you," he told her, rushed and desperate, wanting to make sure it was properly delivered before he died. "He won't stop and when he finds you, you'll see we're not lying. You'll see that he's the same Takemitchy we knew in the past." She would. She had to. "Look at him in the eyes and confirm it yourself. You'll see we're telling the truth. You'll see it's all worth it. Please," he begged, mustering up the best smile he could offer. "Please trust us in this."

"You are mistaken," she replied, glaring as impassively as she had been since that day. "I do trust you." Because no matter what, she loved these boys, and she trusted them. Chifuyu's eyes went wide in response, and he smiled a bit wider.

The bang seemed to echo louder this time and Reina let the gun clatter to the floor. A single tear filled with nothing trickled down her cheek. In the end, all three of them died smiling, and she wondered how could a smile hurt her worse than any gun ever did.

"I trust you, but not time leapers."

゚❁.。.:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*卍*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*.:。❁

"Will it be painful?"

"I think it will be."

"Okay...then, will we go together?"

Identical faces that showed different expressions turned to look at her. The shackles on their feet were connected to one iron ball, sealing their fate. Born together, die together. Truly, it was merciful as it was heartless of her. Though how merciful was it if the sky was pitch black and a storm was raging in the middle of nowhere?