141 • Negotiations

"Are you really fine with this?"

Harui was exasperated. It was the seventh time he had to pull her away because she was staring down the window for too long, and it was the thirteenth time he had found her lying like a broken doll on the bathroom floor, blood seeping out of her mutilated wrists.

Her cheek had turned an ugly navy with how many times Harui had slapped her because she just wasn't getting it. Yet again, he gripped her wrist until she dropped the mirror shard he didn't know she still kept. Her mouth was slightly ajar, her eyes blank as if she wasn't feeling how the wounds on her wrist reopened under his grip.

Simply put, Reina wasn't getting better.

"Nana!" Harui clenched his teeth, feeling her blood stick to his hand. "Answer me, Nana! Are you fine with dying like this!?"

Tilting her head to the side, Reina glances at her bleeding hand. "It hurts," she said, blinking once, then again. "It didn't use to hurt."

"It is supposed to hurt!"

"No, it's not." The drug Shiki's men slipped into the water dispenser shouldn't have made her so sluggish, and the pain of a few slashes on her wrists shouldn't have made her cry out in pain. "I hate this body."

"For fuck's sake, Nana!" Finally letting go of her hand, Harui gripped her shoulders until she shook. "Don't you wanna change the future!? Don't you wanna meet Izana?! What the fuck are you doing!?"

"Hah." Harui couldn't understand, and that was why she scoffed. "If it's so fucking easy, then you go ahead and change the future, Rui."

Tilting her head to the side, her hair covered half her face. Reina stared as droplets of her blood trickled down her fingers, falling to the floor. "If I do nothing, I will die, and you will die, and Mirai will die, and Manjiro will die, and Shinichiro will die, and that's it." She let out a chuckle. "Toman won't be formed. Kisaki won't have a medium to take over the world. Everybody else can be happy. All it takes is a few deaths."

It was easy.

So goddamn easy.

"And are you fine with it?" Harui asked as if the prospect of dying didn't bother him, and it most likely didn't. "You have a chance to repay everything Father has ever done to you, and you're willing to let it go because you can't handle a little pressure?"

Lowering himself to her eye level, Harui glared straight into her eyes. "An eye for an eye. A tooth for a tooth. A life for a life," he reminded her. "Father took everything from you, and yet, you're saying you're fine with just being a weak ghost that can do nothing but glare and go insane?"

Oh, right. Reina hasn't fulfilled her revenge yet. She still hasn't made Shiki kneel at her feet after making him experience the pain she went through. She still hasn't made him beg for his life as she held it in her hands.

Was she truly satisfied with this ending?

"Are you fine with having people laugh at your corpse, saying they knew you wouldn't have lasted long anyway?"

"Shut up, Rui."

Even if she wasn't fine with it, what the fuck could she do with this weak and powerless body of hers? She didn't have the freedom to leave her room without getting beaten up, so what the fuck could she do to fulfill her revenge?

"Are you fine with Mirai being forced to take your place?"

Her fist slammed into the wall with a bang, spreading a dull ache all over her body. Reina didn't like it. She didn't like any of this. Not her being forced to redo her life, not her losing everything, not her not being allowed to just fucking die, not her feeling more pain than she was used to, and certainly not her being forced to live at the mercy of others again.