125 • Shinichiro's Original Timeline

"Can you save my brother?"

The first time Reina saw Sano Shinichiro and Sano Manjiro was at the beginning of summer in 2003. She had just taken care of Ryou a few hours prior, so when she, drenched in blood and ash, saw a near-dead person in a wheelchair in her living room, it wasn't the best first impression.

"What's going on here?"

"Reina." Akise stood up, widening his eyes at the state she was in. "Good god, are you okay? What happened? Are you injured—"

"Not my blood."

"That doesn't make it less concerning."

No, it didn't. But what was more concerning was the absolutely dead look Shinichiro had on his face. He wasn't shocked to see her literally drenched in blood. In fact, he looked like he couldn't fucking care less. Then again, seeing the boy strapped to a wheelchair, the outlines of his bones visible, and looking obviously dying, Reina could understand his lack of care.

"Akise, what's going on here?"

But this was the house where both Harui and Mirai were recovering. It was supposed to be a very sacred and hidden place. Nobody but Reina, Akise, and his family knew that Akise lived in this house, so how the fuck did this random person manage to find them?

"He hired someone to tail me," Akise explained as if that made any fucking sense because she hasn't publicized his allegiance to Hokkyokusei yet, so what part of Akise was important enough for someone to hire a fucking stalker? "I...he read about my achievements and wanted me to save his brother."

Setting aside the fact that she would need to double the security of this house, and probably move everyone to a much safer house, what the actual fuck?

"Can you save my brother?" The man raised his voice, cutting into their conversation. "You're one of the best neurosurgeons in Japan, right? I'll pay you however much you want, so save my brother."

Glancing at Reina, Akise sighed when she shrugged and walked out of the living room. Turning to the uninvited guest, Akise shook his head. "Sano-san, being in a vegetative state is different from simply having a head injury." He took a deep breath, not wanting to trigger the already unstable man. "There's no surgery that can cure him even at the beginning stages, and especially nothing that can help him now. I suggest you prepare for the worst."

Tucked behind the walls, Reina listened to Shinichiro's desperate plea.

Shaking her head, Reina made her way upstairs, stepping into Harui's room quietly even though she knew the man wasn't conscious enough to react. Kneeling beside his bed, Reina held his hands, pressing his knuckles against her forehead.

"I won't let you end up like him," she vowed despite not knowing anything about the visitors, "I'll do whatever it takes. If I have to turn back time, then I'll do it. I'll do anything for you, Rui."

Whether it was a prayer or a promise, she didn't know, but she knew it was something she would keep even at the cost of her own life. Pressing his inner wrist to her ears, Reina closed her eyes, relishing the steady beat of his pulse. He was alive. Her brother was alive despite everything that had happened. That was enough for her.

The door creaked open, light bleeding into the room for a fraction of a second before the door was closed again. Reina opened her eyes, still holding Harui's hand as she stared at him through hazy eyes.

"That boy...he won't live much longer, will he?"

Shaking his head, Akise confirmed, "He won't."

Tightening her grip around Harui's wrist, Reina buried her face into the sheets, taking a deep breath. "Is there really no way to save that boy?"