60 • Snakes and Ladders

So maybe crouching with her face buried in her knees while waiting to be picked up wasn't such a good idea since Kokonoi and Inui immediately assumed the worst and were more than ready to break into the house, bikes and all. Luckily, they listened to her when she said she wanted to go home.

Maybe she should've just parkoured home.

"So, what exactly happened, Prez?"

She was on Kokonoi's bike, enjoying the wind as he sped through the streets, which reminded her that she needed her own bike ASAP. Reina couldn't care less about her reputation, but it wouldn't look good for Black Dragon if their leader rode behind someone else all the time.

"Hm? Nothing much," answered the president with a shrug. "I just found out I have a sugar daddy."

The bike swerved violently, nearly crashing into a passing car as Kokonoi choked on his own breath. Inui pulled aside just in time to see Kokonoi stammering with a red face, "What, what, what, whaddya mean 'sugar daddy'?" Inui blinked, wondering if he had damaged his ears during the Christmas Conflict. But Kokonoi was far too flustered to even care about the dumb face Inui was making. "If you want money, I can give you money. Better yet, you're richer than me! You don't need a sugar daddy!"

"Sugar what the fuck?"

"You two are misunderstanding something." Reina raised her hands as the two boys looked at her as if she had just told them she would end the world. "You know I was adopted, right?" They nodded in unison. "Well, I met my birth father and he's fucking rich. There's no way I'd be someone's sugar baby, okay? Not that it's a bad profession, but the mere thought of sex makes me wanna throw up."

The thought of being touched for sexual reasons made her skin crawl. She thought it was men in general, but her skin never crawled whenever the boys of Toman touched her. So, clearly, what disgusted her wasn't the male species, but the sexual intentions. That was good to know considering she couldn't hang out with Toman if she was disgusted by boys.

"You don't...you don't think it's a bad profession?" Kokonoi repeated, starting the engine of his bike. "Why do you even consider it a profession? That's just leeching off."

"If it puts food in your mouth, it's a profession," Reina answered simply. "Whether you're a thief or a prostitute, whether you work or suck up to someone or both, you do that to survive." Tilting her head to look at the sky, she recited what one of the prostitutes called over to the house once said, "Surviving isn't always pretty and honorable. You don't have to get robbed or used, but I don't hate people who try to find the easy way out or have been cornered. I've been there, done that."

It was also why she couldn't bring herself to fully curse her birth parents. She knew and she understood why they took the actions they had taken. Maybe there was a better course of action, but there was no use in dwelling. She has her own life, and they have theirs. She had decided to move forward without them. So, whether it be resentment or grudge, she would try to make peace with everything and take a step forward.

"That's...that's some mature shit."

Chuckling, Reina shook her head. "It's just a matter of perspective and experience, that's all." Despite the words she had just spoken, Reina felt like her insides would burst any second now due to her emotions that had gone past their boiling points. Still, she swallowed her emotions down and told them she wanted to go home.

Sleep was the most effective medicine, Akise said so.

゚❁.。.:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*卍*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*.:。❁

The clock ticked—once, twice, thrice—until Reina lost count of it. Hunched over on her bed, she buried her face into her palms. Even if their banter over the phone and seeing Inui and Kokonoi felt like painkillers, the drug would wear off sooner or later, leaving her in pain again.