89 • History

The stairs were a weird place to talk, but the eldest daughter had to lead the invited guests minus the first division quartet to the library on the sixth floor—yes, it was an entire floor dedicated to books—so it would have to do. Besides, this wasn't something she wanted the younger kids—who were giving the uninvited guests a tour around the house—to hear.

"Dad adopted us—as in me, Ichiro, and Riku—first. That was when we were fourteen, so we were there when he met Reina." Yume climbed the last steps leading to the sixth floor. "That kid's so damn sly that I'm actually scared of her."

Looking around the lavish hallway, Emma noticed a golden-framed picture of Akise and what looked to be a younger version of Reina and his three eldest. Reina's green eyes were easily recognizable despite her long hair. She wasn't smiling in the picture, and neither were the rest, so Emma couldn't help but be curious. "What did she do?"

"She approached Dad when he was at his lowest," Yume answered, walking past the other golden-framed pictures. The number of children in the picture grew with each passing picture, and so did their smiles. "I'm not saying we're not grateful because we now understand that Dad would've been fucked if Reina didn't help him, but we also know she didn't do it out of kindness or whatever."

"What do you mean by that?" Aizen asked.

Shrugging, she continued, "They were both pretty desperate at that time, so it's understandable, but it was still a shock when Reina admitted everything to us." Chuckling, she sneered at the double doors of the library. "Out of all the 'candidates' she had, 'Shimura Akise' wasn't the most skilled of the bunch." In fact, he was one of the average ones. "But Reina chose him because 'Shimura Akise' is sympathetic towards children and won't refuse to help her even if she's a murderer...because she's a kid." Turning to face them, she simpered. "Pretty evil of her, right?"

"More like manipulative." Izana scowled; his good hand stuffed in his pocket as he glared at the empty golden frame beside the door. "Is she always like that?"

"Who knows? I've only known her for around two years, maybe less, maybe more. It's been a while since I last saw her." Shrugging, Yume pushed the doors open. "But I do respect her. After all, she did 'fix' most of what Shiki destroyed and helped Dad back to his feet."

She smiled at the small golden-framed photo of Harui, Reina, and Mirai on the shelf beside the door. The photo was taken by surprise while the three of them were discussing Reina's plan to move to Tokyo and become Nagarei, so nobody was smiling. Well, Harui was smiling. But that was probably because he had already seen the camera.

"Fix?"

Yume plopped herself on one of the beanbags in the library, beckoning the six to get comfy as well. Checking her phone, Yume figured there was enough time to tell them another story, one Reina hinted her 'guests' should be told of. Yume didn't particularly enjoy telling this story, but there must be a reason why Reina insisted they know.

"Do you wanna know how most of us joined this family?"

゚❁.。.:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*卍*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*.:。❁

Red curls splayed like blood, gaunt and sunken cheeks, ashen pale skin, the most lavish bed with the smoothest silk sheets. The first time Yume saw Hokusei Harui, he was unconscious and hooked to many machines in one of the rooms of the house that she'd one day call hers.

"Save him." Hunched over the chair, Reina had her elbows on her knees and her forehead pressed against her knuckles, her knotted black hair looking like a curtain blocking her face, her green eyes dull yet burning with desperation and tears. "Save him, Akise. I'll give you any amount you want. Just save him. Please. Make him wake up."