20 • Interlude

"Well, that was...easy." Tilting her head until it was hanging off the bench, she let the breeze blow her hair, closing her eyes. "I expected more trouble, but it's good to know that everything is going smoothly."

She didn't think Mikey would ask her such deep questions. But well, he really did love Toman, and Toman was currently facing a threat. Whatever happened on the third of August was a result of meticulous planning. A gang would not attack like that if it wasn't planned, especially going as far as goading someone to betray their own gang. Additionally, the timing of Osanai getting stabbed, Pahchin getting arrested, and the fight was just too convenient to be a coincidence.

Reina never believed in coincidences anyway.

She had created one too many coincidences to believe in them.

Opening her eyes, she lifted her hand to shield her eyes from the sun. Clenching and unclenching her fists, she gritted her teeth and anger started to bubble in herself. "Harui...you fucking piece of shit." She loved her brother, she really did. But goddammit did she want to grab his shoulders and shake his mind out of him. "Just what the hell are you fucking thinking?"

She really couldn't understand why he was doing what he was doing, and it irritated her.

"Get a fucking grip, Nana!" Reina slapped herself, taking deep breaths. "What's with you and losing control over your emotions so easily? Are you trying to fucking die? Get a fucking grip!"

The park was barren as the sun began to set, a tell-tale sign it would soon be filled with sketchy people. Reina played with the water dripping from the plants growing out of the bench, taking another deep breath of the air after the rain.

Petrichor has always been refreshing.

Snapping her eyes open, she felt him before he arrived. Her entire body tensed but didn't move an inch. She did, however, glare at her shoes as if they had just ruined her life. Of course, the boy didn't know the shoe had a knife hidden there.

"You're pretty amazing, you know."

"I do, in fact, know."

"Harui was talking about you, mostly shitty stuff and all the shitty things you did." The boy with dual hair colors sat next to her. "But I wanna hear it from your own mouth." He flashed her a grin she wanted to rip off his face. "Did you really kill your dad and fight with your bro?"

"Onii-chan told me not to talk to strangers."

"Wow, how doting." Cackling, the boy stood up and bowed with more flair than needed, grinning at the scowl the green-eyed boy had on his face. "Valhalla's number three, Hanemiya Kazutora, at your service, the cause of the infamous Moebius massacre."

Then, he abandoned all sense of personal space and leaned forward until their noses were almost touching. "Wow," he drawled slowly. "Your eyes really are like poison. Toxic green, that's what Harui called it." His eyes crinkled as he sneered. "Compared to yours, Harui's eyes are a pretty shade of emerald, right?"

Reina felt her eye twitch. "And what's the point of telling me this?" She, more than anybody in this goddamn world, knew the shade of her eyes. She had been given a Pantone collection and Mirai had compared her eyes to any green thing she had photographed. Reina knew her eyes were bright green, the kind of green that was usually used to warn others, a poisonous shade even in bugs. 

"He said your eyes are damaged from all the beatings and now you can't see very well."

Reina flinched, a reaction that made Kazutora grin and pull away. The boy shrugged, stuffing his hands into his pockets. "You don't wear glasses or jewelry because they can be used to hurt you in a fight, so you live in a blurry world."