104 • The Fourth Future #6

The next day, Takemichi went to Akihabara. Surely, a vintage store could provide him with something that could play a videotape. He had to admit it was quite nostalgic to see a CRT TV again.

"Hello, Reina." An unfamiliar woman smiled as soon as the video played. "If you're watching this, that must mean I'm dead." She chuckled as if it wasn't a big deal. "So? Who killed me? Was it Shiki? Was it you? I'm putting my bet on you. After all, I've always known you'll one day surpass me."

"Who...is this?" Somehow, the woman in the video looked familiar.

"If you did kill me, then you should be proud of yourself," she said, everything about her screaming how sincere she was feeling. "After all, not everyone can kill Victoire Marseille."

"Victoire Marseille?!"

So, this was the infamous Victoire Marseille. Takemichi could somewhat see it. Even though it was just a recording of her, he could see the similarities between how Reina used to carry herself with how Victoire was carrying herself. They were undoubtedly teacher and student.

"The fact that I died by your hands makes my death great, worthy of the name I gave myself. So, you don't have to cry." Her voice softened along with her smile. "Our relationship may have started as one manipulator and another, but I've grown to love you as my student, and finally...as my daughter."

It's funny. The video wasn't even for him. He didn't even know Victoire Marseille on a personal level. Despite that, fat tears streamed down Takemichi's eyes.

"You're the only one, Reina," Victoire said with a tear slipping out of her eye. "You're my pride and joy, my one and only student, and the daughter I never knew I'd be able to have. That's you, Reina. Only you."

Sniffling, Takemichi paused the video to wipe the tears that were starting to obscure his vision. Blowing his nose into his shirt, he wiped his face one more time before continuing.

"It's fine even if you don't become great. It's fine even if you don't shine. It's fine even if you fuck up and ruin everything. It's fine even if you do become the person you vowed to never be." The smile Victoire had shown so much emotion that it overpowered her tears. "You don't have to get your name written in history. You can live in the shadows if it'll satisfy you. To me, it's enough that you've lived to the fullest."

Takemichi wondered whether Reina was currently defying or obeying Victoire.

"So, live your life to the fullest and don't come here until you have a story of the outside world, do you understand, my daughter?"

"Victoire-san..." Takemichi sniffled, watching the glitching screen with teary eyes. However, he didn't get much time to be touched since the screen cleared, displaying Reina who was sitting on a sofa in a dimly lit room. Judging by her hair that had reached her shoulder, he assumed this was a year or two after he went back to the future, which made him wonder whether Reina had dug out the time capsule before the agreed time.

"To Takemitchy in the future." The girl in the video lifted her head, dull green eyes staring back at him. "I'm sure I've tried, but the fact that you're seeing this means I've failed to convince you to leave me alone." Sighing, she brushed her hair off her face. "Well, that's fine. I have something to tell you anyway."

"Something to...tell me?"

"You, who is the center of many big fights, must've seen me when I was on my...rampage," she said lowly, barely audible had Takemichi not stepped closer to the TV. "Moebius, Valhalla, and even Tenjiku...you've seen the way I smile at violence and go crazy for blood."