40 • Preventation

"So, Kisaki's gonna kill me, huh? That future sure pisses me off." Chifuyu slurped his ramen cup before shoving it toward Takemichi. "Want some?"

"But this confirms that Kisaki's really the enemy, right?" Baji chewed on his peyoung soba, splitting it in half with Kazutora. "And the fucker's gonna aim for Rei next. He'll bring Rei down by killing Harui and Mirai."

"Yeah, no doubt about it." Takemichi nodded, slurping Chifuyu's ramen, somewhat not believing they were actually discussing this. "Heard it straight from Kisaki himself in the future." He swallowed the ramen, not trusting himself to continue without throwing up. "Mikey-kun trusts Rei. He will listen to her more than he will anybody else, and that's why Kisaki's desperate to get her out of the picture."

"Fucking bastard." Kazutora gritted his teeth. His fists clenched until his knuckles turned white. "I don't really care about Harui, but Mirai...I'll fucking kill him." Just the sight of that girl crying was enough to make Kazutora go rabid—no, he wasn't biased. "She's a kid and he ruined her life for something so petty and stupid."

"Even if we hate Harui, we need to save him. Rei loves him, after all." Chifuyu frowned, not liking the idea in the slightest bit. After all, Harui was a fucking asshole. Still, it was Reina's well-being above his personal feelings. "You said he's gonna die at a party, right? Rei invited me to a party on the twentieth and asked me to come as Nagarei."

"She asked you to come as Nagarei?" Baji raised an eyebrow. "The fuck does that mean?"

It was Chifuyu's turn to explain everything Reina had told him, and he just realized how messed up it actually was. "I wasn't planning on refusing." After all, a party like that did sound fun, and he owed it to Reina since she did help him, Baji, and Takemichi back at Halloween. "But after hearing Takemitchy...I sure as hell am gonna come with her and make sure Rei and Harui get outta that party alive."

"That won't be enough though." Kazutora shook his head, returning the half-eaten yakisoba to Baji. "First of all, the one who's gonna get attacked is Harui. We need to keep an eye on Harui. At the same time, we gotta keep an eye on Mirai."

"That's gonna be tricky." Baji huffed, snatching Kazutora's slushie to take a sip. "If it's just protecting Rei and Mirai, then we can do it." Though he doubted Reina needed protection. If anything, her enemies needed protection from her. "But Harui's part of Valhalla, the sixth division. Unless, of course, Takemitchy decided to be blunt and also tell him not to die."

"I was desperate." Takemichi groaned, knowing what Baji was implying. "But yes, that was exactly what I was planning to do."

"You stupid punk." Baji smacked his head. "Do you even know how weird that sounded? I thought you were giving me a death threat if it wasn't for your bawling eyes. Harui's gonna kill you if you say that to his face."

"You guys do realize we have an easier option, right?" Kazutora looked at them as if they were idiots, his mind agreed that they probably were. "We can just tell Rei about all this and have her help us."

"Absolutely fucking not."

"Baji—"

"The last time we asked for her help, she ended up in the ER with a critical stab wound and a severe concussion."

"You're making it sound like it's her fault even though it's ours." Kazutora deadpanned but ultimately raised his hands in surrender. "Fine. We won't ask the smart and crafty Rei for help and use our limited brainpower to solve this ourselves."

They were basically dooming themselves, but hey, the captain has the final say.

"Might I remind you that Rei is very, very, and I mean very logical and scientific, whatever that word means," Takemichi stressed each word out. "If I tell her, she's gonna look at me like I'm crazy and probably send me to a mental asylum, if she doesn't kill me first, that is. We can't just tell her, especially if I can't prove it."