117 • The Mastermind

"It looks like the other two are already here," Izana pointed out the obvious as he dismounted his bike. But his eyes were on Reina, gauging her face for even the slightest change of expression. "What do you want us to do, Reina?"

Reina didn't respond, keeping her eyes on Harui, or perhaps on the blood pooled underneath him. However, judging by her blank eyes, Izana had a feeling she wasn't exactly looking at anything. Still, she dismounted her bike, leaving Inui to catch it since she didn't bother with the kickstand. Her movements were robotic, or perhaps hypnotized would be a better word. Either way, people made way for her.

Hiccupping and sniffling, Mirai wrenched herself free from Rindou, crashing into Reina with a loud wail of her name. The redhead buried her face into her sister's chest, blubbering out nonsense while Reina stayed frozen, her face remaining blank as she stared at what was supposed to be her brother.

Her fingers touched something cold, and she dragged her eyes downward, landing on Marseille's limp form resting on Mirai's shoulders, or more specifically, the bullet sticking out of his body.

"Bem-vindo, Reina!" Spreading his arms, South took a step towards her, his grin nearly splitting his face. "You're just in time for the requiem!"

"Izana," she called out, not sparing South a glance as her eyes were still on Harui. "I never allowed the fight to start."

South's head met the ground with a loud bang, and veins bulged all over Izana's arm as he forced the bastard to remain down, only lifting his head to smile at his sister. "Take as much time as you need, Reina."

"You, what—" Takeomi couldn't even take two steps forward before finding his path blocked by none other than Inui Seishu and Sanzu Haruchiyo. "You..."

"Shut up!" The third-in-command spat, baring his teeth. His face remained impassive even as he pulled out his baton, sneering at the people he used to consider his idols. "Reina didn't say the fight could start yet."

Because, of course, Kurokawa Reina had long seized the stage.

The world felt like it had turned silent when she pulled her sister away gently, handing her off to a wary Ran who didn't hesitate to pick her up and let her cry onto his shoulder. Reina ignored them, lowering herself to her knees slowly, brushing her thumb against Harui's cheek.

Cold.

He felt so cold.

"Rei Rei, I'm sorry, I—"

"The best doctor in Japan...you can contact them, right?" Her fingers moved to Harui's neck, pressing his pulse point. There was nothing, but that should be fine. Maybe she missed his pulse point, so Reina dragged her fingers across his skin. "If I bring Rui to them now, will he wake up?"

Sucking in a sharp breath, Akise didn't say anything, nor did he move.

"What about the best doctor in the world? I'm sure Anggita can contact them." There was still no pulse, so Reina tried his wrist. Pulse points were hard to find in the neck, after all. The wrists were easier. "Will they be able to wake Rui up? The same way you did last time. They can, right?"

Still no answer.

"Answer me, Akise."

There was no pulse.

"They can't, Rei Rei." The words left his mouth like knives dragging through his throat, but Akise swallowed the pain down. "I'm sorry, but...but no doctor can bring Harui back to life."

Bending down, Reina placed her ear on his chest. Maybe Harui's heartbeat was so faint that his pulse points didn't detect anything. "It's so quiet." Her whisper seemed to echo in the suffocating silence. "Even if I'm deaf, shouldn't I...at least feel something?"