49 • Breaking Out

"Why'd you do it?" Leaning against her feet, Reina tapped her crossed arm as she waited for an answer. Her droopy eyes widened ever so slightly in realization, sighing as she ripped the duct tape off his mouth. "You'll have to excuse me. I haven't been sleeping thanks to a certain someone."

Her eyes were bloodshot and heavy, and so was her entire body. Reina honestly wanted nothing more than to trip over her own feet and collapse then and there, but she had a job to do, and today was the only time she could make for this. It wouldn't do to delay this much longer since she had delayed the inevitable long enough.

"Fuck you, bitch."

"Now, that's rude." Reina stepped back from the blood and spit he had just spat out, glaring down at the man. "Weren't you the one who hugged and whispered how I'm 'special' or 'great' or 'smart' into my ears every chance you got?" Those words, at the very least, were very sweet, nothing like the intentions behind them. "I'll admit I was stupid to get brainwashed so easily. But don't worry, I'll make sure it won't happen again."

If she must destroy her own ears so she wouldn't get swayed by sweet words, then that was fine. She lived in an age where disabilities could be neutralized with science. Reina wouldn't miss her ears. They had been destroyed quite a long time ago anyway, so there was little to nothing to miss.

Taking a step forward, Reina reminded herself that she had a job to do. Yanking him up by his hair, Reina glared down at the tied-up man. "Why'd you do it, Ryou?" Regardless of his answer, Ryou wouldn't get out of this place alive, but she needed to know his reason. "Answer me while I'm still being nice."

"Hah! Since when were you nice?"

Ah, that's right. Reina was never nice. She wasn't a nice person, and she would likely never be. That was fine. The bedtime stories made it seem like being kind would pave the path to ana easy life, but reality wasn't always that simple. Reina had seen with her own eyes how the kindest people were taken advantage of the most, and how their endings were more wretched than others. Reina didn't want to become like them, so she didn't need to be a nice person.

"Okay, so be it." Reina threw his head back against the chair, dragging a tray cart towards her with her foot. "Unfortunately, I've been quite busy, so I've kept you waiting. Finding replacements was hard, but I have a feeling this 'Shimura Akise' will be more useful than you." She didn't have high hopes, but well, Akise was quite adept in his work. "He even recommended me another person, so let's hope for the best and get started, shall we?"

The first thing she took from the tray cart beside her was the dental plier. "Say, Ryou. You know what Father did to me, right?" She didn't wait for a reply as she hummed, forcing Ryou's mouth open with one hand. "I'm lucky that all the teeth he pulled out were baby teeth, otherwise I'd have none right now." Somehow, the thought of living the rest of her life with dentures was worse than having hearing aids. "But that aside, have you ever gotten your tooth pulled out?"

The pliers entered his mouth—Reina made sure to shove it into his throat until he choked, but he couldn't move because her grip was stronger—before clamping one of his molars between the metal. "You can scream, Ryou." She clenched her hand around the pliers. "After all, you're not used to pain, right?"

Ripping the tooth out, she dragged the root through his gums. Ignoring his bloody screams and the blood streaming to the floor, Reina stared at the tooth on her palm. She clenched her fist around it before shoving it into his eye, her other hand gripping his head so she could dig the tooth deeper into his eyeball.

Ryou screamed, thrashing against his restraints. He gurgled his own blood, hastily coughing it out lest he choke to death. It was probably confusing for him. Every part of his body was in pain, so he didn't know where to focus the pain. That wouldn't do. Reina wanted him to be in pain, not in a state of deliriousness.