65 • The Third Future #3

The Marseille Provence Airport bustled with tourists and businessmen, flight attendants speed-walking through the crowd, and people bumping into each other as they tried to shove through the crowd.

A typical airport, really.

Taking off her sunglasses, Reina took a deep breath, wondering what kind of uproar was happening in Tokyo right now since Toman had, undoubtedly, learned of her disappearance. After all, a doll as she might often be called, she was still the king of the organization. Shrugging, she decided that Inui and Kokonoi were more than capable of dealing with it. After all, her dearest 'Onii-sama' would know better than to kill them without her permission.

Since the title of 'queen' alone has power.

Even though over fourteen years had passed since she escaped that house, Reina had never once set foot in Marseille, or France, for that matter. She never found any legitimate reason to go there. Hokkyokusei, then Toman, had always kept her busy in Japan too, so the chance just never appeared.

It might be an exaggeration, but breathing in the new air made her feel relaxed, as little as the effect was. Reina knew that Toman would first and foremost search Osaka, her hometown, if she was missing. But they would only send a handful of men there because they would be sending most of them to comb Marseille, the place they knew she had an emotional attachment to. Remembering that minor inconvenience only soured her mood because there really was no place in this world she could run to without being chased. She made Toman big, so big that it became a pain for her.

But that was why she came here weeks in advance. Baji, Kazutora, and Chifuyu only specified twelve years since the Kanto Carnage, and that was hardly enough information. But if the coward and crybaby Takemichi during the Kanto Carnage was the 'original' Takemichi, and the determined and relentless Takemichi during the Christmas Conflict was the 'time leaper' Takemichi, then Takemichi must've returned to the future after the Christmas Conflict conclusory meeting but before the start of the Kanto Carnage. Somewhen between mid to late January.

Then, there was that half-torn picture of Mikey, Draken, her, the leaders of the first and second divisions, and Kazutora. Mirai said the photo was taken on the tenth of January, just a few days after the conclusory meeting, if she remembered correctly. She didn't know if the Takemichi in the picture was the time leaper or the original version of Takemichi. But she was sure she was still interacting with the time leaper Takemichi before she went to Yokohama. The pictures Mirai took of their vacation to Yokohama back in 2006 were all dated after the tenth of January, but before February. Thus, she used the tenth of January as the starting point.

It was still the beginning of January. The date she set for Takemichi was the twentieth, after the tenth but before the day she returned from her vacation, So, Takemichi should theoretically already be back in the future by then. And he would have enough time to take the tests.

Even if she managed to slip away, Reina knew there wasn't much time. Everybody in Toman was her enemy, including Inui and Kokonoi who had sworn loyalty to her. But if it was a game of cat and mouse Toman wanted to play, then it was a game she expertized in. Three weeks should be enough to give her the chance she needed to talk with Takemichi without any rat listening.

By the time Mitsuya's funeral was over, Toman would've been done with Osaka, making it possible for Mirai to use it as a test site. Then, by the time Takemichi arrived in Marseille, Toman would've already gone to Indonesia, where she had hinted she'd like to be. They would start searching from Bandung, the capital city of West Java where she first introduced herself to Anggita.

Then, when they would inevitably find nothing there, they would start searching the entire country, starting from the cities she offhandedly mentioned in front of the rats he sent or the bastard himself for the past few weeks since she killed the trio of the first division. Indonesia wasn't one of the largest countries in the world for nothing. It wasn't Russia or anything, but it would take them, at the very least, two weeks before they realized there was nothing there.