112 • Vision

"You look like you had fun."

"Do I?" Grinning, Izana draped an arm around her shoulders, pulling her to his chest as they fell onto the ridiculously long couch, him on his back while she laid on top of him. "Did you know, Reina?" He sounded like he was on the verge of singing a musical piece, stretching his words out as he stroked her hair. "A yellow rat is stuck in the past again."

"Ah, is that so?" Humming, Reina buried her face into his chest, not the slightest bit surprised to confirm that Takemichi was, indeed, back. "Did I fail?"

"If you did, he would've been back two years ago, not now," replied her older brother. "Either something happened twelve years from now that made him come back, or there's a change in his ability to time leap."

They had discussed this the second Reina blurted out how she just knew Takemichi was back. In fact, the first one to suggest something must've changed with Takemichi was Reina herself. Other than the fact that she just knew he was back, the gap between his previous and current return was too big, and Izana knew a part of her was confident she wouldn't have failed. After all, she was ready to sacrifice everything and anything for that promised future.

"He said he'd beat you," Izana reported, his fingers weaving through her long hair while his eyes were on the dark ceiling. "He declared that in front of Brahman and Rokuhara Tandai, in front of Inui and me." There was a saying for people like that. It was 'a frog in a well' if Izana wasn't mistaken. "Seeing what he had done two years ago, I doubt he'd stop."

"I don't expect him to." Because that was just who Takemichi was; a stubborn idiot who wouldn't give up even if the world was crushing him down. "But I can't stop either."

She had already boarded that train, the doors had been soldered shut, and her stop wasn't arriving anytime soon. No matter how sick she was of the ride, she had no choice but to swallow it down and bear with it.

"It'll be okay, Reina," assured her brother, his voice sounding too giddy to be fully soft. "You don't have to do anything. I'll gladly get rid of anyone who gets in your way. Whether it be Brahman, Rokuhara Tandai, or Hanagaki Takemichi himself, I will get rid of them for you."

And how lucky she must be for her brother to be willing to go that far for her. But Reina couldn't help but sneer at herself because in both hells she had been in—one willing while the other not—she had a brother who wouldn't mind falling into a pool of filthy blood just so she could walk on top of his head.

゚❁.。.:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*卍*:・゚✧*:・゚✧*.:。❁

"Here."

"Oh, uh, thanks." Accepting the drink from Mirai's hand, Takemichi placed it on the coffee table. It had been a while since he last visited Reina—Mirai's flower shop slash house, and he must say it broke his heart to see the door of Reina's room ruined with blade marks, a sign that she was no longer part of the house.

"I tried to make her stay," Mirai admitted upon noticing what Takemichi was looking at. "I'm just a useless kid who dunno a goddamn thing about her world, but I wanted Nanane to stay." Sighing, she popped open the can of soda. "But Nanane told me she's not needed anymore and left, just like that."

In a sense, Mirai already has everything now. She has her brother back, two more half-brothers who loved her, three siblings-by-connection who also loved her, a group of delinquents who also loved her as much as they pitied her, and many more people who loved her as much as they were loyal to her sister. Simply put, Hokusei Mirai was loved and had more than enough people to take care of her, so losing the one sister who fucked her up should've been good, or at least that must be what Reina had thought.