90 • Mental Preparations

The sky had just begun brightening, yet she was rudely awoken by her phone. Grumbling, she reached over to check the message, squinting at the sudden light emitting from the device. As her vision adjusted, she read the message that had sealed the fate of her day.

"Anggita, you...urgh." Clicking her tongue, Reina rolled until she was on her back, spreading her limbs on the bed as she stared at the lavish ceiling. She specifically told Anggita to make sure they arrive in the afternoon, not morning, goddammit. Reina wasn't ready to have that conversation at seven in the morning. "Goddammit, Anggita."

Stepping off the bed, she made her way to the walk-in closet. It was scarcely filled since she was just a guest in this house, even if that room belonged to her. Putting on a thick turtleneck and thermal leggings, she shrugged on Harui's trench coat that reached her knees and walked out of the room.

The hallways were silent, rightfully so. There was light coming from the hallway leading to the kitchen, and she could hear Riku singing along to a foreign song in the silence of the mansion. He must've gotten up to prepare breakfast. But he usually had the radio on, so she should be able to sneak out.

"Where are you going so early in the morning?"

Sighing, she took her hands off the handle of the stained-glass door, smiling sheepishly at the boys on top of the stairs. "I don't think I was being loud."

"You weren't," Inui assured, stepping down the stairs with Kokonoi in tow, the new coat Kokonoi bought on their first day here bundled on his elbow. Inui himself was carrying his coat. "But you're not supposed to go outside alone yet."

"Don't cage me, Seishu."

"I'm not." Putting on his coat, he stopped a tile in front of her. "But you don't look like you know where you wanna go either." He hit the nail with that one. "So, if you're just going out for a walk, there's no reason we can't go with you and make sure you're safe, right?"

"Who would possibly attack me and win?"

"Who wouldn't?" As he buttoned up his coat, Kokonoi pulled out a red scarf from his pocket. "Besides, it's the thoughts that count, Rei." Wrapping a scarf around her neck, he reached down to grab her boots. "C'mon, we'll wake the others at this rate."

nui already had one hand on the handle of the door, smiling softly at her, so softly that her heart ached. Kokonoi grinned lopsidedly as he slipped on his own shoes. They held their hands out, waiting for her to take them. Reina stared at their hands, the hands that were ready to pull her out of her own anxiety.

She took their hands.

So, there she was, walking along the sidewalk with a hot meat bun nibbled in her mouth and two boys flanking her sides. The sun was already up, Kokonoi's watch beeping to inform him of the changing hours. Keeping her phone silenced and inside her pocket, Reina remained blissfully ignorant of the messages and missed calls sent her way.

"Aren't they supposed to arrive at noon?" Oh, right. Reina forgot Yume had somehow managed to get her hands on Inui and Kokonoi's numbers. The blond was currently looking at his phone, raising his eyebrow at her for confirmation.

"Anggita's prank."

"Ah." It didn't take them much to guess this must be the reason why Reina tried to sneak out of the house at six on a Sunday morning. "When are you planning on going back?"

"Whenever Rui and Akise are done." Which would take a few more hours at best, giving her enough time to mentally prepare herself. She felt a bit sorry for the kids, but she knew they would be fine. Those guys wouldn't dare do anything to hurt them.