14 • Warnings

Shimura Akise knew Reina was a murderer, as well as all the things she had done. She may act as mature and smart as she wished, but it wouldn't change the fact that she was still a child. And a child, especially one who never had a safe place to release everything to, would spill everything at the tiniest amount of trust. Reina was a child, a very tired and paranoid one. Hence, it only took an incident of underage drinking, as well as one extreme sleepwalking case that ended with a dead stray cat and many shredded pictures, for her to spill everything.

He knew the lengths she would go to for Harui and Mirai. He was there when she had the splitting argument with Harui. He remained by Harui's side, unlike Anggita who went with Reina, under her orders. Though he knew other than to assist Harui with his job, the reason he was placed there was because Reina was worried.

What if assassins came again? What if someone tried to overdose her dearest brother again? What if he got injured? What if he got sick? What if he's overworking himself? Reina had paced in front of him and Anggita, repeating those questions as she ran her hand through her (then) long hair.

So, Akise was placed beside Harui not only to help and keep an eye on him but also to make sure Harui would survive any problem that could be solved by a doctor. Honestly, he almost rolled his eyes if he didn't know what the siblings had been through. Harui was eight years her senior, yet Reina was treating him as if she were the older sister.

It was cute as much as it was heartbreaking.

He didn't usually spend his days in a hospital, and if he was, it was always the ones owned by Hokkyokusei. More often than not, he would be stuck in Harui's office, being a businessman and not a surgeon. Still, he had spent years to become a surgeon, and it would be a waste to not put those years into practice. It was a good thing Reina didn't mind what he did as long as he did his job.

Besides, it wasn't like Harui needed a personal assistant. The man was honestly much more talented in business than his sister, though he guessed it was due to how differently Shiki had raised them.

If people knew, they would point their fingers and bash him. A surgeon working under murderers? It was like saying a priest became the servant of a thief. Well, they weren't exactly wrong.

Historically speaking, it was always the most religious people that did the most inhumane things.

"It's like everything is tolerated under the name of god." Reina would say whenever she heard someone preach about the divine being. Still, she was respectful enough of religions. It was evident in the way she never commented whenever Anggita did her prayers since the woman did come from a fairly religious country. Anggita's professionalism in never discussing religions at work also helped them reach an understanding.

Well, Akise wasn't an avid believer in god either, nor did he particularly care about that. Whether a deity existed or not wasn't his problem because there would be nobody other than himself and the people of this world who could help him, and there would be nobody but also the creatures of this world that would hurt him.

Anyway, considering Reina was the main reason why he was filthy rich, Akise could say for sure that he wasn't mistaken in pledging loyalty to her. Sure, she was a murderer, but she was a golden egg he wouldn't meet twice in his life. He could find rich people anywhere, and rich people who could preserve their wealth for much less. But finding rich people who could preserve their wealth and utilize him, flaws and all, was rare.

Besides, Reina killed to protect, and she had sworn to never kill again.

At least, she tried not to. It only took one look at her bloody shirt to realize that while she probably hadn't killed anybody—because he knew she would've looked more haunted if she did—it was close. He would find out the extent of her damage when he reviewed the names listed in the ER with shattered bones, missing limbs, or missing genitals.