16 • Beach Talk

"Say, Reichin? How about joining Toman?"

Mikey would never admit he flinched when Nagarei bit down on the lollipop so hard that a crack was heard. Nagarei's green eyes were wide and narrowed at the same time—he didn't know that was fucking possible—staring at him as if he was both a ghost and the most disgusting insect to exist.

"Yeah, no thanks." Because whatever reason Mikey had for wanting her to join, it wasn't her business. She would help them from the sidelines, but she wouldn't dive into their fights. As it was, bits and pieces of Reina's past had been leaked out, and it was enough to link Nagarei with Reina. If she dove deeper, she might as well sign herself up to be exposed as a girl before she wanted to debut. "I'll give you information and whatnot for payment, but I'm not joining your merry gang of chivalrous knights."

"Are you scared people will find out your real name is Hokusei Nagarei?"

That's not her real name, but Reina applauded Mikey for coming to that conclusion. Unfortunately for him, "I don't really care." She wouldn't have made up such an obvious name if she did. "I wouldn't have told you Harui's name if that was the case." She wouldn't have pulled the stunt she did if it wasn't part of her grand plan. "As a matter of fact, I want people to know that I am a Hokusei."

"Huh? But didn't you change your name 'cus your brother's dangerous?"

"The current me is stronger than the past me." Reina flashed him a sharp grin. Of course, it was a little earlier than planned, but she could adapt. "It's about time I come out of hiding."

"So, why can't you join?"

"Firstly, it's not beneficial for me." Secondly, she would be busier than ever now that people would find out that Harui and Reina supposedly had another brother, even though that brother and Reina were the same person. If things got worse, the people theorizing Reina and Nagarei were the same person would become more vocal. She would need to work harder to keep the damage, whispers, and theories under control. In the worst-case scenario, Nagarei's real identity as Reina would be exposed and she would have a lot of explaining to do. If she hadn't lost anything, that was.

Honestly, everything would've been easier if she could just erase Nagarei by killing this identity, but she couldn't do that considering Nagarei wasn't just a name anymore. Tosei Nagarei had become someone with, dare she say, friends who cared for him. Erasing Nagarei so suspiciously would only cause a commotion. That, and the deepest and most hidden part of her wanted to indulge herself in the company of these feral boys.

Perhaps this time, she could make a few real friends.

Of course, Mikey didn't need to know that, so she continued with, "I also like to keep myself as unknown as possible. Otherwise, I can't sneak into meetings again."

Mikey snorted in response. "I think it's too late for that, Reichin. After that whole stunt you pulled back at the festival and the news, you're gonna be the talk of the delinquent world." As it was, the streets were filled with whispers about a green-eyed monster. "I don't think anybody will not know who you are."

"Fantastic, my identity's exposed and I haven't even found that fucking Hanma bastard," snarked Reina, regretting her decision not to wear a mask during her rampage, even though the goal was to make her name be feared. "I still refuse. Maybe come back to me when you've found something worth bargaining my long service for."

"Melon lollipops?"

"I already have Baji as my infinite supplier. You're not needed."

Mikey clicked his tongue, though he didn't look too disappointed. So maybe Reina was being too soft on Baji—and maybe having Akise, someone who clearly has no knowledge in psychology whatsoever, to search up what's wrong with her fondness of Baji was a mistake—but in her plain defense, the captain of the first division was a good combination of tolerable, shrewd, and entertaining.